1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need help updating a website

I have been tasked with making some updates to a website built in MS SQL 2005. I have gotten most of the updates done but there is one that has got me stumped and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I have made changes to a .aspx.cs file (the html code in the file) but the revisions don't show up on the website. I made the changes directly to the file with my code editor. Is there a step that I am missing that needs to be done in order make the revisions show up on the website?

Here is the code that I changed

<td width='90'><div align='center' class='style4'>Poplar</div></td>
    <td width='70'><div align='center' class='style4'>FJ Poplar</div></td>
    <td width='70'><div align='center' class='style4'>MDF</div></td>
    <td width='70'><div align='center' class='style4'>FJ Pine</div></td>
    <td width='70'><div align='center' class='style4'>Knotty Pine</div></td>
    <td width='90'><div align='center' class='style4'>Clear Pine</div></td>
    <td width='70'><div align='center' class='style4'>Red Oak</div></td>

The old values from those cells still show up.

Any insight anyone can provide me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Caley
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Try clearing your browser cache.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

I wish that was the problem. I have tried in different browsers that haven't cached the site and that's not it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

Try restarting IIS
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  9. No Profile Picture

I have found a new problem, I deleted the .aspx.cs file from the server and the windows are still coming up with all of the information that I thought was supposed to be grabbed from there. I am completely lost and I'm not sure I will be able to fix this issue.

How would I restart IIS?

Thanks
  11. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator

How would I restart IIS?
    Open Control Panel - Administrative Tools, locate the IIS control panel. You can start and stop IIS from there.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    --Alfred Bester
  13. No Profile Picture

I will give it a shot, thanks!
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

1. You're in the wrong forum. This is the CLASSIC ASP forum, you are obviously describing ASP.NET, which is the next forum down.

2. You did not edit the aspx.cs file. That is the "code behind" file, it does not contain *any* html markup. You edited the .aspx file.

3. Probably what is happening, is the control is being populated with the code behind file. It is probably not a "static" page. The code is probably pulling the values from a table somewhere and putting them into the table or something.

4. You will not even SEE .cs files on a properly created website. Those all get compiled into a DLL. Only the .aspx (html) files get copied to a website.

5. You have a lot to learn, might want to get somebody who knows what they're doing.
  17. No Profile Picture

Thanks Ronster.

Actually I didn't originally post to this forum, it was moved here for me.

I do have a lot to learn and I never should have taken this on, but that's hindsight.

I didn't build the site so I don't know if it was done properly or not, all I know is that the page that I am trying to edit... the .aspx has this code Codebehind="ProductDetails.aspx.cs" which would make me thing that it pulls the information from that .aspx.cs.

It obviously pulls from a table and I am in the process of figuring that out, which I why I came here. If I don't figure it out, I will pass it along to someone that knows what they are doing.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by cwalsh
    Thanks Ronster.

I didn't build the site so I don't know if it was done properly or not, all I know is that the page that I am trying to edit... the .aspx has this code Codebehind="ProductDetails.aspx.cs" which would make me thing that it pulls the information from that .aspx.cs.

It obviously pulls from a table and I am in the process of figuring that out, which I why I came here. If I don't figure it out, I will pass it along to someone that knows what they are doing.
    Yes... for each .aspx file, there is a corresponding .aspx.cs file.
    The .aspx file contains the html markup. All of the aspx.cs files (that is where the C# code is) gets compiled into the DLL. (look in the \BIN directory

If all you have is what is on the website, and not the original source code.... you are pretty much out of luck. You won't have any idea of how it is getting populated.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo