1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

LDB file stays on server. CAN be deleted

Hi,

I wonder.
    I have asp files and MS-ACCESS database on the Intranet Server.
    Recently, I find an *.ldb file in the same folder as the mdb file, and it won't terminate by itself.
    It is possible to delete it. But as soon as u access the asp file that accesses the database, a new *.ldb is created.

The asp files were not changed recently.
    What can cause it?
    The asp files do not write to database, just read from it.

I am not the administrator, and want to know what can be the problem.

Two changes happened recently:

1. I have upgraded the db only to XP from 2000 (but the server uses the same drivers as before. There is an office 2000 installed on the server (worked great for access 97 and 2000).
    I copy the xp file (after updating data), to the server, from my pc.

Btw - I use DSN to access the db.

2. The database was recently re-defined by the admin (permissions etc. DB should be read only), after a corruption of the server.

3. There is nore than 1 asp page that accesses the db, but as I mentioned, no changes have been made with the asp pages code.

Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Overly white

An *.idb is a lock file created by MS Access. It's normal and should not be worried about.

Are you saying that the file is not deleted by it's self? Maybe the directory needs read & write permission? Try that and post again if it doesn't work.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Question R u sure+ q?

R u sure? For the db itself is a read only database, and should be.

Do u mean that the directory of database should be r/w permitted, or the asp files folder?

Also, Should the *.ldb file be re-created everytime a new user is reading from the db (reading is made from asp web pages, and shoukd be closed every time a user finishes working?

What if few users use it at the same time? It is not closed until all r finished?
    Last edited by avivit; April 8th, 2003 at 02:05 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Overly white

Access creates an *.ldb file everytime it is opened, so no worry there. Try it create a new database and then open it up then open my computer and browse to the database directory the ldb file will be there. It's nothing to worry about.
  9. Contributing User

"IIS and ODBC DNS Connection" Keeps a connection to the DB even though it is not being used. To save time from creating a full new connection next time you try to use the database.
    I am not 100% if that "tmp" connection that keeps the lda file has a time out on it or it will stay for as long as the IIS is running.

But one thing you could try is shutting down the IIS server and check if the file still exists or gets deleted.

Like everyone have said before, it is nothing to worry about
    I hope this is of any help to anyone.

Yassoor
    http://www.WebsitesCreation.ca
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up Thanks defjamninja and Yassoor

Thanks for your reply

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo