1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Running process after page loaded

Does anyone know if it is possible to run a process after page has loaded? reason being is i have an application that uploads a file, then zip's it up. These are 50 megs sometimes, so zipping the file can take some time. It is a two stage process though, a user will upload a file, then fill out some more info, then submit, so while the user is filling out more info, I'd like to start zipping the file. Does anyone know if that is possible? and if so how to do it? Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Overly white

I would imagine so. I'm not sure but maybe you could use the Server.execute to run the code the does the zipping of the file. I'm not sure if it will run the code wait for it to finish then return to the calling code. Or will it execute teh code while executing the calling page.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is for an internal application so I have a little more control over what people are doing. They know its going to take some time.The point is they are going to have wait for the file to get zipped either way, and i figure it may as well start zipping while they are finiishing the form. Then when they hit submit, the page will wait for the zipping process to be complete. Which will be quicker in the long run. I know that's not really the nature of ASP, once the response is complete asp is off the hook. just wondering if there was a way around it

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo