1. No Profile Picture
    Demonic Swordsman DGQB
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Scripting or SQL statement Question

Hi all.

This page, http://pjshimmer.tripod.com/movies3.html, contains info of my movie collection. I have the title and year in one table cell, as in Lord of the Rings (2001). I intend to put all the info in an Access database, but I would like to have separate fields for Title and Year. So I wonder if there is a script or SQL statement to achieve this?

The pseudocode can work like this:

1. Find open parenthesis "(" in field -Table-
    2. select everything after "("
    3. move the selection to the new field -Year-

Any help on achieving this would be appreciated, as I don't want to retype 500 year fields!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

you can use regular expressions to parse out each line. I don't quite have the time to go into it, but if you look at and decent ASP tutorial site (asp101.com for example) you should be able to find some info on it. Even if you write an asp page that you'll run one time wihch creates a comma delimited text file, then you can import that into access. It might take you a little while to figure out, but regular expressions are a valueable skill to know.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Demonic Swordsman DGQB
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

ah yes, regular expressions. Thanks for getting me started. I accomplished the task with Perl

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo