1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

simple ASP question -> learning the language / general theory

I'm sort of trying to force my way through some manuals and w3schools trying to pick up asp... i'm farmiliar with PHP so i figure it will be a breeze
    there's just one general theory idea i don't understand

if ASP can be written with either javascript or vbscript... then is ASP just adding the <% %> tags around the code?

also... something like "Session.Timeout" or "response.write" ... this doesn't look like VBScript to me... are these elements of ASP, VBScript, or something else?

I hope you can understand my question... I'm sort of confused with the languages / where to look to find information because i dont know what to look for...

:| php = php, there's nothing more to that... i'm confused with asp

should be a simple answer

thanks so much ppl
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

followup: i see a few posts below the mention of ASP.NET and ASP 2.0 ... how are these different from what i asked above?

and pls, i'm not looking for a RTFM answer, i'm neither looking for syntax or help with the actual languages

just general theory

something i can never understand from manuals
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

ASP, ACtive Server Pages CAN use either VBscript or Javascript. I use VBScript but I dont really understand the disadvantages/advantages of each one (even though they are addressed in different threads on this forum).

The <% %> are called ASP Delimiters and the code inside them will only be executed on a server - only the result is sent to the client in the form of HTML.

As for the Session.Timeout and Response.write are examples of Objects. There are people on this forum that know a lot lot more about ASP than me, but this is my first ever shot at helping someone!!!

There are 5 objects in ASP, and they are:

RESPONSE object - this sends and controls information from the web server to the client.

REQUEST object - this retrieves information from the client to the web server.

SERVER object creates other objects so you can use methods and properties (?!)

SESSION object - deals with everything related to session information

APPLICATION object - stores and shares information for use during active applications (dont really understand this one!)

Basically using these 5 basic objects along with suffixes allows you to do just about anything you would ever want to.

If you are interested in reading more on this I have a great ASP book (.pdf) format that has taught me all I know, along with the people on this forum of course.

Hope that this was some help, as I say its my first ever reply to some elses question!

Porky
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo