1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Social Networking Site Example

I'm doing a school project and want to create a small social networking site. I want to do it from scratch but need some input on how to exactly handle things. I will be using a SQL Server 2008 database. As far as the user's settings and profile settings, should they be stored in the database or is there someway of doing it in asp? How would I load in those settings after the user logs in?

Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

How would I load in those settings after the user logs in?
    You should visit some learning sites like www.w3schools.com and work through some tutorials and examples of database-driven asp forms and pages.

I'd store the user info in a database, but it kind of depends on the way your site may interact with other applications. For example, if all your users are domain members of an AD domain, you'd probably want to come up with some code that uses the existing user information in active directory. Or if you have some other ldap user datastore, then you'd use it.

And if you're starting new, use asp.NET not classic asp, which is the focus of this forum.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    And if you're starting new, use asp.NET not classic asp, which is the focus of this forum.
    Thanks for the reply. I am using .net I thought that would have been assumed since what you said that it is the focus. Sorry about the confusion.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I worded it wrong. This forum is primarily classic asp coding, there is more help with NET in the NET forum, although there is some overlap. I don't code in NET myself.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.
    --Mark Twain
  9. No Profile Picture

hello!
    Go to this site: hotscript and get some free .net social networking script and Read the code. Reading Coding also help you to write a script.

Regards,
    shmai
  11. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Doug G
    I worded it wrong. This forum is primarily classic asp coding, there is more help with NET in the NET forum, although there is some overlap. I don't code in NET myself.
    Sorry about that.
  13. No Profile Picture

Chameleon is good if you buy a unique design, because in this case you will have a unique site. Some of the designs can be seen here chameleondesign.net/gallery.php?gid=52
    But if you get it without it it is useless because no one likes clone sites. Also their support may be sometimes slow, but i am using their script on 2 sites of mine (they are listed here chameleonsites.net/) and everything is ok.

Comments on this post

• Ronster disagrees : You dug up a two year old thread? Poor forum etitquette.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo