1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Using Access Caption as Title

I have an Access database that gets info from an Excel spreadsheet and places it in tbl1. I have built an asp page that loads information from tbl1 in my Access database. The code below is set to get the info from Field1 and I have repeated it for Field1 to Field16. Additionally within my Access database I insert caption information which is the column titles from the spreadsheet.

Code:
    sql = "SELECT * FROM tbl1 "

If Not IsEmpty(Request("FIELD1")) Then
    	Dim strFIELD1
    	strFIELD1 = Trim(Request("FIELD1"))

If strFIELD1 <> "" Then
    		If blnWhere Then sql = sql & "AND " Else sql = sql & "WHERE " : blnWhere = True
    		sql = sql & "(FIELD1 LIKE '%" & Replace(strFIELD1, "'", "''") & "%') "
    	End If
    End If
    As part of my asp page there are column titles in HTML that at the moment are hand typed in. The code below shows a few title in my HTML page.

Code:
    <td width="5%>Record No</td>
    <td width="5%>Cost</td>
    <td width="5%>Address</td>
    Is there an asp code that could extract all the captions from the Access database and insert them into the HTML section of the page?

Hope this makes sense
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

If by captions you mean the column names in the db, yes you can get them programatically. Most databases provide a special view INFORMATION_SCHEMA that you can query for table names, column names, etc.

There may be examples in this forum, a search here or google will find you some sample code.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture

Try following code:

<table>
    <% for each field in rsTable.Fields %>
    <th bgcolor="#949494"><strong><%= field.Name %></strong></th> <% next %> </tr> <%do until rsTable.EOF %> <tr> <% for each field in rsTable.Fields %> <td bgcolor="#E2E2E2" height="23"><%= field.Value %></td> <% next %> </tr> <% rsTable.MoveNext rowCount=rowCount+1 loop rsTable.Close set rsTable=Nothing %> </table>
  7. No Profile Picture

This: http://www.shotdev.com/asp/asp-access/asp-access-get-field-name/

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo