1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Variable In SQL String

I am currently trying to code a variable into a SQL string that is used with ADO to create a record within a database. I though am having problems with the proper syntax for a variable. The string works fine with a number but when I try to code a variable I have problems. I need to find out how to code an array as well.

Code:
    hr = rec2->Open("INSERT INTO mytable(id)VALUES("+ text +")",con2.GetInterfacePtr(), ADODB::adOpenForwardOnly, ADODB::adLockReadOnly, ADODB::adCmdText);
  3. No Profile Picture

use single quote before and after variable text. Like this

hr = rec2->Open("INSERT INTO mytable(id)VALUES('"+ text +"')",con2.GetInterfacePtr(), ADODB::adOpenForwardOnly, ADODB::adLockReadOnly, ADODB::adCmdText);

Originally Posted by mcertini
    I am currently trying to code a variable into a SQL string that is used with ADO to create a record within a database. I though am having problems with the proper syntax for a variable. The string works fine with a number but when I try to code a variable I have problems. I need to find out how to code an array as well.

Code:
    hr = rec2->Open("INSERT INTO mytable(id)VALUES("+ text +")",con2.GetInterfacePtr(), ADODB::adOpenForwardOnly, ADODB::adLockReadOnly, ADODB::adCmdText);
  5. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Assuming you're using vbscript on the server, don't use the + character for string concatenation, use the & character. VBScript sees the + as a mathematical operator in many instances. Here's the vbscript reference

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  7. No Profile Picture

Doug,

Thank you for your reply. I am working with C++.

Originally Posted by Doug G
    Assuming you're using vbscript on the server, don't use the + character for string concatenation, use the & character. VBScript sees the + as a mathematical operator in many instances. Here's the vbscript reference

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx
  9. No Profile Picture
    Stumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Thank you for your reply. I am working with C++.
    So do you want me to move this topic to the C forum or the NET forum? This forum is for asp, mostly classic asp.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    It is a truism of American politics that no man who can win an election deserves to. --Trevanian, from the novel Shibumi
  11. No Profile Picture

My tip not work for you?

Originally Posted by mcertini

Code:
  13. No Profile Picture

sfweb,

Thank you for your response. I though am still getting errors with the '+'. I do not understand variables in a record or recordset object yet.

error C2110: '+' : cannot add two pointers
    error C2660: 'ADODB::_Record::Open' : function does not take 5 arguments

Originally Posted by sfweb
    My tip not work for you?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Are you getting the OPEN function mixed up with the INSERT function?

You OPEN a connection, usually, then you do your work (insert/delete/update), then close the connection.

You are passing 5 parameters to the Open function... the string, the con2.GetInterfacePtr(), and then 3 ADODB parameters.
  17. No Profile Picture

Ronster,

Thank you for your response. I do not have the program logic proper yet. I am now learning about recordsets and the open method.

Though I have a good book explaining the proper logic, I have not yet discovered how to code a variable into the SQL string.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo