1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question ASP / Outlook interface to expose "add contact" object

I have searched MSDN and Google, but am not finding a concise overview of how to access Outlook methods to generate an "add contact" event on the local user's machine. Most of the info I'm finding relates to Exchange server, not the local instance of OUtlook.

This event will be spawned from an intranet-based ASP page. The online contacts list will have a button to add the contact. On click, the default contact form will be displayed, with the primary fields pre-populated from the recordset selected.

I'm sure this is a no-brainer, but haven't done this before. Any ideas? Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

I may be wrong but I seriously doubt that you will be able to do anything like that with the local users copy of Outlook.

In order to do that, you would need to have access the system from your web page. Obviously, that presents a pretty signficant security issue.

You can access Exchange objects because Exchange isn't running on the client machine.

I've never tried this but it occurred to me that you might be able to create a vCard on the fly from your ASP and email it to the client. They could then import the vCard info into Outlook.

Here's a link to a whitepaper on vCards.

vCard

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo