1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Web shopping cart "like" help

I am looking for a good solid database solution. I work with a distribution company which recently went onto the web. We offer thousands of different products in various categories. Since we move our inventory very quickly I have no way of having a real-time database in place so I will not be able to make sales in real time online. However, what I would like to do is have shopping cart like functionality on my site. I would like to allow my visitors to add products that they are interested in to a list. As they find items that they are interested in it adds them to a list. When they are finished looking they then "checkout" and fill out there businesses information and when they hit submit I recieve the "I'm interested" list of products from each user via e-mail. This way my sales department can put together a custom quote for each customer that is interested in products. I am not familiar at all with web databases and I was wondering if anyone here would happen to have a solution that would fit these requirements. I am familiar with databases though, so if someone could even point me in the right direction that would help a lot! I am grateful to any comments posted here regarding this issue. To get a better idea the web site is http://www.gtechdist.com check it out and let me know!

Thanks,

Aaron McClone
    MCSE,MCDBA,CCA
  3. No Profile Picture

Is that really your web site and are those the products you're setting up the process for?

If so, I have a question:

Why would I send an "I'm interested" list to a real human when I could probably get those items from another site on-line and complete the transaction?

That's not a critisism. It's just a question. There are a number of free shopping cart applications based on ASP. I'm certain you could easily integrate your process with one of those.

dot
  5. No Profile Picture

Distribution

Yes those really are my companies products. We have good majority of them in our warehouses across the states. However some of them are being sold straight from the manufacturer. You have to have a retail ID to buy from us, we do not sell to the general public. We are a wholesale company. The point being we move our inventory quickly and don't have any way of keeping a real time inventory of these products, so in order to prevent visitors from purchasing something that we just sold out of, we would like to simplify the system by allowing them to show us exactly which products they are interested in. Due to the nature of the business very few purchasers would be willing to purchase large quantities of items over the internet without first speaking to a real person and making sure that the company is legit and finding out more information on the products. With that being said, where can I locate the free databases for a solution like this? I don't know of a good place to start, nor do I really know what I am looking for.

Thanks for your the reply and the help,

Aaron
  7. No Profile Picture

One More Thing

Why did you question if that was my companies site and if those were really my products?

"Is that really your web site and are those the products you're setting up the process for?"

Just out of curiousity?

Thanks again,

Aaron

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo