Thread: email on submit

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

email on submit

I am creating a page in ASP (I recently taught myself ASP so I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination).

This page is going to put data in a database, which then an adminstrator needs to approve, and then the data will be moved to a different DB allowing it to be viewed on the web). The issue is that in all reality someone may post data once a month at most. Since I am currently the one who needs to approve the data, and I am not one who will remember to check if any data is in the DB on a regular basis, I would like to know if there is a way I can have the form send me an email everytime data is inputted in the database, this way I know I need to review and approve the data.

If there is such a way to do this, please let me know.

Peace,

Bounce!
  3. Contributing User

CDONTS or CDO Objects

If you running IIS on 2000 box check for the CDONTS.dll object or I think on XP it is replaced by CDO object.

Using a server.createObject("") you intiate a connection to the SMTP and you specify the Message subject and text and To address and the CC BCC.

There are alt of documentation on how to use those two objects on the web .. a search on google will get you alot of different resources.

I hope this is of any help.
    I hope this is of any help to anyone.

Yassoor
    http://www.WebsitesCreation.ca
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If your not running SMTP but you can install COM objects on the webserver you should be able to find comercial or even free email sending objects. They work similar to CDONTS except you don't need to be running an SMTP server you can just select your normal email server when you call the appropriate functions. As long as that server accepts emails from you normally you can use your email address as the sender address.
    But like I said your web hosting provider will have to install the email component (If they haven't installed it already. Most providers do it for free, just ask them). But if your running your own webserver just install it on the same machine as the IIS is running on.
    --

ngibsonau

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo