1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Resonse.write usage

Hi,

Is there any concerns or disadvantages of using alot of respose write's (50) in a ASP page for calculations and is it better than using the recordsets to do the calculations?

Also, we are looking at moving to a secure server, will this cause any problems apart from changing all references to https?

Thanks,

Sanjay
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

To answer your first question, no it isn't bad to have for response.writes. But you may want to refer to this thread:
    http://forums.devshed.com/t60587/s.html

What exaclty do you mean when you say is it better to have the recordsets perform the calculations?

As for your last question, you'll only have to change your links if you are used absolute url's. If you've been using relative url's you should be fine.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your reply,

say I wanted to sum the answer of each recordset by 25.7, I could add this to the recordset or do the calculation on the ASP page via VBScript - I just wondered what would be best.

Thanks,

Sanjay
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think it really depends on the context of the situation. I the values in the recordset are accurate as they are without the calculation being performed. For example, let's say that you are keeping dimensions in your recordset, and all your dimensions are kept in imperial units. If you were to display this on a page as metric, then you would just perform the calculation on the page, because all the values in your recorset are expected to be in imperial units. I don't know if this is what are talking about though.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo