1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Inserting/Displaying BLOB files

How would a guy go about inserting BLOB files into an Oracle database? My company wants me to put logos in a database, and then depending on the client logging in, display a certain image.

My boss wants an interface to allow for us to upload them to the database, also.

I personally think just dropping them into a centralized directory and then storing the path, or the image name in a char or varchar field would make more sense, but....

Can someone help me with this, or give me any ideas? I've floated the idea to him to buy a third-party component to facilitate the upload, but he's not really appreciative of that idea.

What about .NET? From what I understand, it has very good file upload capabilities. I already have the framework installed on our server, so I should be able to use it if needed. Would that be a better route to go?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I think you're probably right. We've got the framework installed on the web server, so I might be doing a little programming at home and then taking the files in--if only for this project.

We also use the same images across several servers, so we'd have to duplicate the images on multiple servers. I think I might be making some more recomendations to go with the path being stored instead of the database.
    Last edited by Keithb; August 7th, 2003 at 11:43 AM.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo