1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Submitting a large form - takes too long?

Hello,

I am using VBScript and I have a rather large form (it has about 2000 rows, each of which has 4 fields + 4 hidden fields => about 2000 * 8 = 16000 fields in total being submitted). I am submitting this form from script.asp to itself (the idea is that when the form is submitted some totals are recalculated based on what the user changed).

The first time the script loads it fetches all 16000 values from an Access database and that takes 1-2 seconds. When the form is submitted the script takes about 15 seconds to load, even if I remove all server-side code/processing (which means that the action of sending the form and transmitting those fields alone takes about 15 seconds). I was wondering:

1) Is this performance expected? i.e. 15 seconds for sending 16000 form fields over http post

2) How can this be improved (and is it even possible)?

Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, I solved the problem by removing the form altogether, adding a 'modify' link next to each row, and using Javascript DOM to modify the totals on a per-row basis which makes more sense from a use-case point of view (the user will likely edit two or three, rather than all 2000 rows of the form).

If anyone has better ideas/suggestions I'd still love to hear them though.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo