1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry Sporadic 80004005 "Unspecified Error" in ASP & Access

I am currently developing a new site for my company on the internal intranet. This is an ASP(classic, non-NET) file that connects to an Access 2003 .mdb file.

When I had several folks test it, about half got the page as intended, the other half got the following error:
    Code:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine error '80004005'
    Unspecified error 
    /path/to/file.asp, line 19
    The line in question is the Conn.Open line, as listed below. I have checked throughout the net, and can't find a suitable answer as to why this is happening. Any help would be appreciated!

Code:
    'declare variables
    Dim Conn, sConString
    dim objRS, sSQL
    dim keyRS, kSQL 

'create ADO connection and recordset object
    Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Set objRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    Set keyRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

sConnString="PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & Server.MapPath("/path/to/file.mdb") &";Jet OLEDB:Database Password=*****;"
    Conn.Open(sConnString)
  3. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Don't use Access .mdb as a backend database. In particular, it would be foolish to start designing a new site that uses an Access db. The Jet drivers were never designed with web use in mind and are not scalable for use in web applications. Your symptoms are typical of an Access-backed asp site that has outgrown it's usable traffic.

Use SQL Server or MySQL or some other robust dbms instead of access.
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Unhappy

Ah, were it that simple of an answer. Alas, the suits that decide this sort of thing have said to do it on a threadbare budget. Honestly, I'm lucky to have IIS space available to me at all! If this were an external-facing site, I could have probably been able to get a proper SQL, but as it stands, .mdb is the best I can come up with (the IIS server doesn't even have the ACE OLEDB driver for Access 2007!)

That said, if there is any possible workaround for the error, or even the cause of the error (in a language that the suits may reconsider), it would be greatly appreciated.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Grumpier old Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

There is always http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/e...s/express.aspx if you can get anything installed on the IIS server. SQL Server Express won't impact your budget.

If you must continue with Access, make sure you have the most current Jet OLEDB drivers installed on the web server. Review your file permissions on the .mdb file and it's folder, make sure the IUSR_ and any authenticated user accounts have full write permissions. Likewise on the %TEMP% folder on the server.

Take a look at your web server traffic and see if the errors tend to occur during higher traffic times. If you're on a 64bit server I believe you have to set up a 32bit environment for Jet, I don't think there are any 64bit Jet drivers available, but I haven't used IIS and Jet since the IIS5 days
    ======
    Doug G
    ======
    Bartender to Rene Descartes "have another beer?" Descartes: "I think not" and he vanished.
    --Alfred Bester

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo