1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

100% Beginner I need help

Hey, I posted in another thread, but I figured this would be best since I'm new! I have no experience and am greener than grass. That being said, I'd be very appreciative at any help you can offer me.

I was told that its best to come up with a project. So that project for me is the following:

1) Open site A, take specific data from site A.
    2) Open site B, automatically log in
    3) input specific data from site A into site B.

I always wanted to learn code, I've been looking online, but really am lost as to what to do or where to begin. Any help or direction, I'd be super appreciative of.

Thanks in advance!
  3. Dark Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Over here in Beginner Programming we can help with the overall advice, but soon after you've picked a programming language (Java or Python?) it'll be time to move to its respective forum for help regarding the actual implementation.

An interesting project, but keep in mind that doing this for anything more than academic/learning purposes tends to annoy the people running the sites.

Whatever language you pick will provide a way to do HTTP requests and read the corresponding response. You do a bunch of those:
    1. Request to site A to get the page you want. Might take more than one.
    2. Grab information.
    3. Request to site B to log in.
    4. Request to site B to input data.

You should learn about the HTTP protocol and how web sites and pages work in general too - it'll make all this much easier to understand.

Protip: the main problem doing this is keeping track of the cookies being sent, which includes the information telling site A/B that you are logged in as whomever. Often overlooked but generally not difficult to get working in the code. Which, again, depends on the programming language.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo