1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question Access conversion to MySql for use in FrontPage Web on Linux

I am moving my FrontPage webs to a dedicated Cobalt RaQ Server which has Chilisoft installed and configured. Little did I know that Linux/Cobalts don't "speak" Access" database language - so now I am faced with conversion and learning to use MySql. Is there anyone here who is familiar with this process or can recommend some specific resources to get me going the right direction? My existing asp coding is ultra-basic - I have done just very basic functions overall - all done through the WYSIWYG interface of FrontPage 2000 - and up to now on NT servers. Thanks very much for any and all help/suggestions.

A specific example that I need an immediate resolution for:
    http://www.bestofbuck.com - the Hall of Fame petition page. It is an extremely basic set of three asp pages - the submit form, the confirmation form, and the view results page - and of course the access97 database where the results currently reside. Super simplistic - but I have no idea where to start with changing over to MySql so that it can live at the new server.

Belinda
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up MySQL & PHP

Here's a tutorial on PHP, showing how it makes an excellent interface for your MySQL database. Here's the whole MySQL manual and PHP manual. In addition, MySQL & mSQL by O'Reilly is an excellent primer and reference.
  5. No Profile Picture

thanks - but...

I definately USE written references and appreciate the links. (I'm printing madly right now). But in skimming through as I read - I still am hoping for some step by step - how to get an existing Access database (and asp database connection) from a working, live website to a MySql database & connection.

To elaborate slightly and specifically - the example I gave in my original post:
    http://www.bestofbuck.com/petition.asp (this is the working Access database)
    http://66.33.90.36/petition.asp (this is the Linux/Cobalt server where the Access database is NOT working and shows the error)

To show my absolute beginner knowledge or lack thereof - WHAT is the correlation between php & MySql (why are they hand-in-hand, do I have to use php with it, etc) - is php to html as xml is to html or is that simplifying way too much?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thumbs up Hand-in-hand

Basicly, MySQL is a database server and PHP is an embedded scripting language which works within an HTML page. Each of these could be used independently of each other, but they each have features that facilitate using them together to build interactive web pages that can access and manage your database.

I must admit I'm still new to PHP, but so far have found it to be excellent! If you are at all familiar with Perl, PHP has some similarities, with the advantage of embedding the script in the HTML page rather than as a seperate CGI script.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo