1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello,

This is my first post in a forum here so please be kind. I've reached a level of dissatisfaction with the limits imposed by various Web Hosting services and want to set up my own server running Apache on RedHat Linux.

I have very little experience in server technology let alone on a UNIX platform.

Am I getting in over my head?
  3. No Profile Picture
    RyanP
    If this is something that you believe you are going to be dedicated to for a significant amount of time and you believe that you have the aptitude for it, dive in.

It will probably be quite challenging, but if you stay on track and utilize learning resources like this place, then you should have no problem of maintaining a consistent forward progress.

I was in a similar situation to yours many months ago .. fed up with hosting services .. I wanted the freedom that running my own server would allow, so I have spent the last 6 months or so learning and working with Linux, Apache, Mysql, and various web programming languages .. and I love it.
  5. No Profile Picture

Agreed. If you've got the time and dedication, it's doable. I would suggest joining an apache mailing list and reading some posts, this is a great way to learn from other people's mistakes. Just out of curiosity, what limits were hitting you that got you so fed up with web hosts?

Dusty

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo