1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Beginner and need to know where to start

To start off, I did HTML around 1995-1998, I did some QBasic in 1997 making crappy games and some small programs, and very little C++ in 1998(making i/o programs and a bouncy ball that changed colors and shape).

That was the last time i dabbled into this sort of thing, and I am looking to get back into it.

What I am looking to do is build a simplistic 2D game, then move on to complex 2D game, then possible 3D games and applications. My platforms of choice is WP7, Windows, XBLA and possibly Android, but that's up in the air at the moment. My friend suggested C#, so I went out and bought "Head First C#".
    First 3 chapters were a cakewalk even though I was irritated as to why the book doesn't fully explain what each command or operation does, and sometimes it does but isn't till chapters later. I am on chapter 5, and I find the book to be relatively confusing.

So my questions to you are:
    Am I using the right language for what I am looking to do?
    Is there a better book that I should be using?

I do like the visual studio interface over the borland compiler I used in 98. I prefer to be able to teach myself instead of going to a school and learning, but I hate to say it I am a better school learner than a self taught learner.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Where To Go

To start doing 2D games I would recommend learning Python. Its easy to learn and you will quickly be making 2D games! There's even an extension to Python called PyOpenGL that will let you create advanced 3D games. There's loads of books available to learn Python - one of which and the one I learned with is called Beginning Game Development With Python and Pygame. You can also learn online

Hope this was some help

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo