1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Career Path please help!

Hey! So im at that point were i need to make a choice in my life. I have it narrowed down to two choices.

1.Web Development.
    2.Computer Information Security

I know more about Web Development but i keep finding myself wanting to get into Computer Information Security. If someone could give me some insight into the kind of things CIS People need to learn and what kind of programming language they use during their everyday work day etc. etc. that would be amazing!
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

What intrigues you about infosec as a career path? What industry to you think you'll work in?
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    What intrigues you about infosec as a career path? What industry to you think you'll work in?
    Thanks for the reply! What I find interesting is just the aspect of trying to pretty much "defend" a system of information against potential hackers. Making sure there are no cyber doors or anything like that. I also read about web test penetration (such a dirty name) but that really interested me also. Pretty much the whole "you don't think I can find a loop hole? Watch me!" Aspect. I know WHAT they do pretty much. Just not 100% how they do it. And I know that's what school and learning is for but I would just like a little more info before I jump in it if I go that route.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Network protection puts you on the line for mistakes. If you fail to secure a network and your company gets sued for a billion dollars, you're not keeping your job. There's also far fewer jobs available for security professionals, since most companies are unwilling or unable to spend the money on one.

As a web developer myself, I obviously recommend that. You can continue spending time researching network security on your own to add to your skillset, but the primary education should be in whatever gives you the best chance at success.

In my opinion, anyway.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    Network protection puts you on the line for mistakes. If you fail to secure a network and your company gets sued for a billion dollars, you're not keeping your job. There's also far fewer jobs available for security professionals, since most companies are unwilling or unable to spend the money on one.

As a web developer myself, I obviously recommend that. You can continue spending time researching network security on your own to add to your skillset, but the primary education should be in whatever gives you the best chance at success.

In my opinion, anyway.
    Hey thanks for your input! Something that got me interested in it is my freind is actually in the information/application security field and he told me that that position is extremely hireable right now and that his company is always hiring. So that kind of contradicts what you say and is a little confusing. Not saying your wrong i just have no idea.

Also like i was asking what kind of programming lanuages and stuff do they usually specialize in?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo