June 13th, 2001, 09:37 AM
Comparison of 2 scripting languages to produce a 3 tier web application
Hi from England,
For a project for my university course I have decided to propose the following title:
"A comparions of two scripting languages to produce a three tier web application".
What I would like some help on is:
1. What two scripting languages do you think I should compare? I am interested in PHP and one other.
2. What things should I compare?
3. What kind of 3 tier (back-end, middleware scripting language, front end) web application should I produce. eg. a computer hardware store? A matrimonial site? etc..?
4. Any other things I should think about etc?
What I need to do is write a page elaborating on the title.
I would really apprecite any help/input you knowledgable guys and gals give me.
Thanks in advance.
June 14th, 2001, 03:48 AM
Just my vision
1. PHP is excellent and the another... I'd have to go with Java.
2.You should compare how easy it is to create professional looking web pages (at least with my pages Java is better). Other thing you should compare is how can you create functionality for the pages. (PHP rules!)
3. I think you should create a site that has lot's of "real" functions. I create web applications which control industrial processes and that's fun... Just an idea: Web application that controls an automated process (for example car factory or whatever product)
This is all just my vision... I hope this helps you!
I had a similar course in university last fall and showing my web application got me this summer job.
Cheers from Finland!
e-mail me if you want to ask more about anything!
June 14th, 2001, 05:07 AM
Hi and thanks for the ideas!
1. Okay, so PHP.. and when you mean Java.. do you mean JSP?
2. I think what the university is looking for here is an actual comparison of the languages, constructs etc. So what I need is more ideas on what I should compare between the languages themselves. (This is the *core* of the project).
3. The three-tier web application is not the *core* of the project but the output produced from the comparions of the two scripting languages.
Thanks for the help and I hope some other guys/gals can give me some input too!
June 14th, 2001, 07:20 AM
Yes, now I understand...Didn't quite get it the first time.
2.Don't know but... loading times, browser compatibility ???
3.Computer Hardware store sounds fine, but include inventory and say sales reports ???
June 14th, 2001, 07:43 AM
I think that, for a three tier app, you should consider java in all aspects (jsp, beans .....) because they play different roles (and here you can find excellent tutorials).
The challenger, in my opinion is MS with their .net architecture.
Honestly I don't see php a viable option for a real enterprise level multities app.
June 14th, 2001, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the comments, however, I don't think you understand.
The main emphasis of the project is to compare two scripting languages.. the end application does not matter too much.
For example, if I use PHP, then the back end will be MySql, the scripting PHP and the front-end is generated HTML (for example).
So what I need is a guideline on comparing the scripting languages themselves.. eg. language constructs, memory management, loops etc.