1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Diving into the World of Programming

I have always had a strong desire to learn how to program and today is the day I start this long journey. You should know that I have no prior programming experience.

Now I read the sticky in this forum on program languages for beginners but I'm still not sure where to start. My goal is to one day write applications/games for Android and/or other mobile OS's. I was thinking I would start out by learning Python as people have claimed it is easier than others to learn and will teach me somewhat the basics. Than I was thinking after Python moving on to Java? I'm all ears to your guys's suggestions here.

Also, what are some good resources to learn these languages for complete beginners? I started a class on Udacity that covers Python for beginners and teaches you how to build a simple search engine. I'm not very far yet but I dont want to waste my time in this class if its not very effective for beginner programmers. Opinions are welcome here as well.

Thanks to everyone in advance and I cant wait to start my coding adventure and am excited to be apart of the Dev Shed community!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I've just started learning as well, basically jumping in head first with very little experience.

So far Codeacademy has been a great resource for me. I've started with Javascript since the web is such an open and versatile platform.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo