1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

DrRacket help [I need help please]

So i am working on an assignment for school and am pretty confused about racket. I know cond, cons, car, cdr, and a couple other basic operations, but I am having trouble wrapping them together into something useful. my problem is this:

I need to implement a Scheme function, RemoveFirst, that takes as arguments a natural number n and a list L and
    removes the fi rst n elements of L. That is, the function returns a new list containing elements (n+1) through
    the end of the input list L. If n is greater than the length of L, the function returns the empty list. If n is
    negative, the function returns #f.
    For example, (RemoveFirst 2 '(fee fi fo fum)) returns '(fo fum).

If someone can show me what this would look like, or give me a push in the right direction that would be super helpful. My biggest issue is getting the syntax right.

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Heres what i have so far

(define (removefirst n L)
    (cond
    ((< n 0)(#f))
    ((= n 0)(L))
    ((> n (length L))(" "))
    (else removefirst(- n 1)(cdr L))))
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

You basically have it, but as you foreshadowed, your syntax is completely wrong. First thing: as an expression, an unquoted list is a function call. Thus, (#f) is not the literal #f, but the function #f (which doesn't exist) evaluated with no arguments. This is an error. Similarly, (L) is not the list L, but the value of L considered as a function and evaluated with no arguments. Next: the empty list is (), not (" ") (which is a singleton list with its one element being a string with one character). Next:
    Code:
    (else removefirst(- n 1)(cdr L))
    does not do what you think it does: when the 'else' clause is reached, the three expressions 'removefirst', '(- n 1)', and '(cdr L)' are evaluated in turn, and the value of (cdr L) is returned as the value of the cond expression. This is not what you want. As I stated earlier (and as you should know, since you used the syntax in your first post), to evaluate removefirst with the two arguments, you use the expression (removefirst (- n 1) (cdr L)). Finally, 'removefirst' and 'RemoveFirst' are not equivalent, since Scheme is case-sensitive.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo