1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Looking over some of the earlier postings in this forum, it seems there are a lot of knowledgable and helpful people here.

I am starting on a side hobby (perhaps moreso) this year to make a web host server. So far I have the PC & I can get the cable hookup.

I concluded that using a Linux OS is probably better than Win98-2ed, so the big question of the day is... which package is best suited for a beginner but still very usable as I will be learning about it all as I go too?

I saw the Firepages downloads (version2). http://www.firepages.com.au/bundle.php3

And the Mandrake ones. http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/

And of course I see the RedHat stuff alot too. http://www.redhat.com

From all my non-experience, I like the looks of the Mandrake package. It was also recommended by a couple of co-workers. Can anyone please comment on any or all of these?

Given time, I will be learning Linux, PHP, mySQL, etc...

Oh yeah... if anyone knows of any great tutorials on the above mentioned programming, please comment that too

TIA!
  3. No Profile Picture
    Apprentice Deity
    Devshed Loyal (3000 - 3499 posts)

Niagara Falls (On the wrong side of the gorge)
    None of the above. FreeBSD.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

FreeBSD is a good idea, but can be a little more difficult to setup than Linux. Personally, I use Slackware, Apache with PHP4, mySQL and Sendmail running through my cable modem. I am using an IP-chains firewall script called Trinity-OS which seems to do a pretty good job. Didn't take much to set it up, but the script is a work-in-progress so if you decide to use it, you might want to update it pretty often.

I've never used firepages before, but it's pretty simple to install everything manually. The PHP manual shows you how to install Apache with PHP support. The mySQL manual is pretty straight forward too.

Just make sure that if you do choose to use Redhat that you follow the information in the Trinity-OS document about fixing the security problems.

[This message has been edited by chris22 (edited January 02, 2001).]
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

The firepages zip is for windows 9*.

If you are new to linux Redhat would be the easiest to get to know and there are many rpms available
    resistance is no longer futile :: 423
  9. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

None of the above. FreeBSD.
    charming as ever rod k
    resistance is no longer futile :: 423

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo