1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have a search engine with a simple form to run it that has a text input item and a submit button. When I run it in Netscape 4.04 and click the search button to submit the form it gives a warning

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Any information you submit is insecure and could be observed by a third party while in transit. If you are submitting passwords, credit card numbers, or other information you would like to keep private, it would be safer for you to cancel the submission.[/quote]

but then when I use the same browser with all the same settings and goto another site (Ebay for instance) and search with their site, It does not give the same warning... WHY?

I want my site to not give the warning and scare people off that have high security settings set. How?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

[This message has been edited by qweqwe (edited July 27, 2000).]
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It all has to do with the browser settings. It would go away if you clicked "Never show me this again" or you used SSL.
  5. No Profile Picture

No, You don't understand. read my first message again... I know how to make MY browser stop giving that message, Im trying to make it so that other people's browsers when they come to my site will not get that warning every time they search for something.

Mike
  7. Contributing User
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

...... so you have answered your own question.

No you can not override a surfers browsers security settings (&for good reason), its totally up to them .

------------------
    Simon Wheeler
    FirePages -DHTML/PHP/MySQL
  9. No Profile Picture

Sorry to quote my own message, but you guys are not answering the part that I am trying to figure out...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>but then when I use the same browser with all the same settings and goto another site (Ebay for instance) and search with their site, It does not give the same warning... WHY?[/quote]

Why?....OH WHY? does the browser give a warning when I try to search MY site..... but it DOES NOT when I use the SAME browser and search other sites (SUCH AS EBAY)

M
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Because somebody has already checked that box at ebay on your computer. Trust me, Netscapes does that on all forms. It's not big deal.
  13. No Profile Picture

I thought of that too, but I just got Netscape about a week or two ago just to test out my site so I have never been to ebay with netscape. Just to test your theory I went to a dosen random sites i found through yahoo (site that i have definately never been to before) 4 of them did not give the warning when i searched by typing in text into a text box and clicking a search button. the rest did.

When i looked at Ebays code i found no submit button for the search form?! the button that yuo click to search is an image type of input item that looks like this

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">code:</font><HR><pre><input type="image" width="33" height="33" border="0" value="Find It" src="http://pics.ebay.com/aw/pics/homepage/findItButton_33x33.gif" alt="Find It!">[/code]

How does this button submit the form? It seems that this might be what is causing the phenomenon that I am observing.

Mike
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That makes no difference. It just allows you to have an images as the submit button, rather than a button.

As far the security thing goes... don't worry about it. It happens on everybody's computer and nobody pays any attention to it.

It may also depend on the type of field that have to be filled in, but I don't know about that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo