Thread: more freeBSD

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I have been using only Windows for this 5 years and just had freeBSD installed by other person on my note-book PC.

I pretty much seriously know nothing about unix operating system, and don't even know how to connect to the internet yet.
    I already have apache installed for the freeBSD, though I don't know how to start the darn thing, nor make it connected to the net.

So, I was re-thinking about running the server on Win98. But I have heard that there is no flock() function, and no chmod function.

What are the bad side to run a server on Win98? Should I just read the documents at freebsd.org and run a server on unix? It must be easy for me to run it on Windows since I know pretty much stuff on it.

Thanks. I need some help.

------------------
    http://millennium.massassi.net/
  3. No Profile Picture

That's a decision only you can make. I started using freeBSD about a year ago. It's hard at first. I used to use Macs only.

I think that it is worth the time to learn it. FreeBSD is a good solid, secure system.

I would invest in a book. It helps to know some Unix administrators too.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hideki:
    I have been using only Windows for this 5 years and just had freeBSD installed by other person on my note-book PC.

I pretty much seriously know nothing about unix operating system, and don't even know how to connect to the internet yet.
    I already have apache installed for the freeBSD, though I don't know how to start the darn thing, nor make it connected to the net.

So, I was re-thinking about running the server on Win98. But I have heard that there is no flock() function, and no chmod function.

What are the bad side to run a server on Win98? Should I just read the documents at freebsd.org and run a server on unix? It must be easy for me to run it on Windows since I know pretty much stuff on it.

[/quote]

5. No Profile Picture

That's a decision only you can make. I started using freeBSD about a year ago. It's hard at first. I used to use Macs only.

I think that it is worth the time to learn it. FreeBSD is a good solid, secure system.

I would invest in a book. It helps to know some Unix administrators too.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana,Arial,Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hideki:

[/quote]

7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Don't go back on UNIX!!! Thats the only thing I can tell you. I have FreeBSD 3.4 on my machine and to tell you the truth I wouldn't trade it for any other UNIX or Linux out there. It is hard at first, but then again you can read their handbook, which has a lot of good info about the OS.

Moreover, if you are serious about web development with PHP or Perl, then having a good UNIX on your machine is imperative.

Just give it a shot, trust me, in some 2 months, you won't regret it...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo