1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Getting back into the game

Hi!

Hope i don't scare you away with a wall of text, but i figured it would be a good idea to get my idea out as detailed as i could to get the best possible response.

I've been away from programming and web development for some years now. And i feel it's really difficult to get back into the game, as there are so many new things now and many of the options available seems to overlap. I hoped someone could give me a couple of tips on how to get going again.
    I have a small project going that gives me a goal, something i feel should be an adequate challenge.

I'm making a pen&paper RPG game, and would love to have a webpage where i can insert player and enemy data and do some simulated combat and get some useful statistics. That's the basic idea. If i get it going, i might want to include a small and simple database that can hold some player and monster data for easy access to different combat-simulations.
    I want it on a web-page so that everyone helping my project can get access to the simulation and the statistics, no matter where they are and what OS they might run. I run on a Windows environment myself.

I never really mastered any programming languages back when i was more active, but i could make small useful programs with most languages. I've looked at Python and Java as the two best candidates for what i now want to create. But i get so confused as to what SDK and HTML tools, and what mods and extensions to use, since most kits now a days seems to have so many sub-programs it's hard to know what would be right for me.
    I would love a quick and easy drag'n drop environment to create the UI, as there's going be a lot of numbers, textboxes and the likes, and they might change several times during development. If i pick up some knowledge of HTML5 and CSS along the way that's quite Ok.

I have several questions i would love some answers too, but any tips or thoughts that might help me get started would be greatly appreciated.
    Is my choice of languages Ok? Should i focus on jScripts, applets, PyWeb, Django or something else entirely?
    Some names of good (free) programs to create the code in would be appreciated.
    Do i use a program like Dreamweaver or something similar to make the page layout?
    Do i have to run a webserver on a home-computer to get this to work? If so, what options do i have?
    Do i just insert javascript or Python code straight into the HTML files?
    Is mySql for windows still a good options should i decide to implement a DB ?

Quite a few basic questions i guess, and i figure there's an endless supply of different answers available, but any tips would be great!

Thanks in advance, Tom.
  3. No Profile Picture

No tips from anyone so far, but my own search goes a bit better. In case anyone else reads this and wonder if i and how i got going, i'll just explain that now.

I got a hold of Notepad++ to start with some easy HTML code. I read up on "w3 Schools" to brush up on my HTML code and started setting up how i wanted the site to look. Seems like i should read up on CSS for making it look pretty, but for simple functionality i'm quite pleased so far.

Once the basic layout was done i read up on JavaScripts. So far i'm having good success with this. Reading and writing values and building more and more functions for my Combat Simulation.

Just hoping i don't run into any big problems now and that my progress keeps going like it is now.
  5. Put a potato on it!

I'll try to answer some of your questions from my own experience:

Is my choice of languages Ok? Should i focus on jScripts, applets, PyWeb, Django or something else entirely?
    This depends on how you learn, I don't like using frameworks when I'm working with a new language or concept because they do a lot of the heavy lifting for you, which is great, but you don't learn the basics and the how's of what they're doing. If you just want to do a job and get it done, go with a framework. But you could also start the basic application and write it in such a way that refactoring it with a framework later wouldn't be too difficult.

Some names of good (free) programs to create the code in would be appreciated.
    notepad++ if you just want syntax highlighting, I prefer this for python, it's much simpler. Eclipse is also a good IDE and I use it for java

Do i use a program like Dreamweaver or something similar to make the page layout?
    Any IDE you use - even notepad++ will let you make a page layout. Dreamweaver is just wysiwyg. I've found that I can't use it because it's too unfamiliar and weird to drag and drop elements on a screen. It's easier for me to write the HTML/CSS. But if it works for you, use it.

Do i have to run a webserver on a home-computer to get this to work? If so, what options do i have?
    If you want to make a web application, you will need a local server. If you have linux you can install apache easily with yum or apt-get. WAMP or MAMP or XAMPP are good alternatives for non-linux systems.

Do i just insert javascript or Python code straight into the HTML files?
    Javascript yes, python would need to be run as .py files. So you insert HTML into the python files.

Is mySql for windows still a good options should i decide to implement a DB ?
    Definitely. MySQL will do everything you need it to do and will come default with the programs I listed above. Do yourself a favor and download navicat or mysql workbench . It'll make things easier if you aren't used to the commandline.
    Last edited by Jyncka; March 21st, 2012 at 01:00 PM.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
  7. No Profile Picture

Thanks Jyncka!

I've been doing what i wanted as mentioned in JavaScripts. I wanted to add the finishing touches now, the most difficult parts and the project slowed down a bit. I learned quite a lot of JS and picked up some great general programming skills. I see now at the end that i could have done things so much different if i started over again, but the code is easy to read and works and that's Ok for now.

Thanks also for your tips on programs. Notepad++ has been fantastic and as of now i'll postpone the MySql bit.

I'll leave JS for now i think, it was fantastic to get some knowledge of it and i'm sure i'll have use for it later. But i want to focus more on Python now. So many people give it praise, although i find it difficult to get a full overview on it's potential. I would want to mix it with web-development as well as with some simple GUI programs. It's gonna be frustrating and fun, which is really what programming excels at!

“Never trust a computer you can’t throw out a window.”
    -- Steve Wozniak

Comments on this post

• Jyncka agrees : Sounds like you're on the right track and enjoying yourself, good luck!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo