1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need guidence for web app development.

I have been asked if I can help my cousin with his business (a small one) to develop an application which any one of them can use at any time.

Being small they have yet to get any type of applications to handle their orders, invoice etc..

Their business mostly deals with photography, videography, catering and event management.

I am asked if I am able to find a solution in which they can use an iPad to take their customer order while out of office and use their windows pc for the same thing while in office.

After an initial discussion I concluded that a web application will be best since it can be accessed via their web browsers and I don't have to develop a separate application for windows and IOS. I will have a more in depth conversation regarding the specifics.

Now here is my initial problem. I only have experience with C, C++ and C#. All the programs I have developed are ran on a windows and they didn't have anything to do with networking or the Internet.

I'm not really aware of the pitfalls of a web application or a language that will be ideal. I understand there are preference between programmers which leads them to choose one or the other. All I can say is I like OOP and the style used in C++ but not a fan of C# so something similar to C++ would he neat. I don't mind learning something new either as everything is pretty much online now.

Also if anyone can advise me on the usual requirements for a web application or point me towards the information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

PHP is similar syntax-wise to C++, that's probably a good place to start. Web development is a completely different paradigm than desktop application development.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. No Profile Picture

I've been browsing and trying to get as much information on web apps.

I feel as though I have to learn how to create a website using html, css, javascript, sql and php.

Am I wrong?
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

The new user guide to the PHP section of the forums is directly below this message. Read the whole thing and it will give you a good idea of what's involved.

You are not wrong, the technologies involved in making devshed are:
    PHP
    MySQL
    HTML
    CSS
    XML (RSS)
    JavaScript
    Regular Expressions
    AJAX

You can make a decent website with just PHP, MySQL, and HTML. Not a good one, but a functioning one.

-Dan
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply.

There seems to be a lot of stuff written there that will surely answer a lot of my questions and give me a better idea as to what I am potentially getting my self into.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo