1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question How hard will it be to get a job in another language after working with ColdFusion?

Hi so I believe and hope this is the right place to post this

But Iím out of college like many are at this time, with some work experience under my belt mainly with C#, but not a lot. And basically I may have a job opportunity, but itís working with ColdFusion and as I can see, there doesnít really seem to be that big of a career future with ColdFusion as well as the fact that Iím just not that interested in working with it and in doing web development. On top of the fact that itís not in a ideal location for me. So what I am thinking, if no other jobs come along soon, is to take the job get 1 to 2 more years of work experience and then try to get a job somewhere else that works with a more used language, like C# or Java. However I fear that most people would want work experience with those particular languages and by taking this job I will just be stuck. So what do you guys think? For most employers is work experience with the particular language they are hiring for important or is just work experience with programming in general ok for when just starting out your career?

Thank you for any help
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

The best thing to do is take a job that can suit your current situation. If you are just out of college, then something like this sounds like it's a good idea as a starting point. While you're working on CF, keep up your skills on what you know.

The thing that you need to do is keep an eye on the job ads around your way and see what they are looking for as far as languages and experience goes. Look into learning new languages that suit what's being asked for, and do some projects for yourself in those. This will show that you can learn new technologies, and that you can adapt to whatever an employer needs you to.

Most places want you to know the language before you start, but they also recognise that for a good programmer it's more about the ability to solve problems rather then just churn out 1,000's of lines of code that's second-rate.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo