1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hello first post. I have an idea, but I'm not sure what language to use

Hello, great forum here!

I have a quick question, and I was wondering if anyone may be able to help me answer it. I know a little bit about programming, but not very much (I understand the basic ideas of IF/THEN statements, etc..).

Okay, so I'm looking to add a little "app" directly to my website. The app will basically be a picture of a guitar fretboard, and when you click on each of the frets it will "light up" after being selected. It will then transfer the lit up note onto a "chord diagram". I drew a picture of generally how I want the app to look. Now, I'm just trying to figure out how I'd take this idea and convert it into a workable "on the website" program which is very user-friendly.

Now, I don't want this to have to be a program that you download onto your computer. I simply want it to be able to be used directly from my website. I want people to be able to generate these "chord diagrams" directly from my site and then save them as an image file.

Okay, so I'm not quite sure exactly how to get started. Would this program be written in JAVA or some sort of a script?

Basically if I had a starting point, I could then go and do the necessary research and figure it out a little bit at a time until I successfully create my program. However, I'm not sure where I'd begin.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
  3. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Pretty much any time you want something on a webpage where the user can do something and get instant feedback, the solution is Javascript. Provided you have the images, it can handle the frets and lighting up and even a diagram. As for an image, Javascript may be enough (depending exactly what you want to do) otherwise pretty much any server-side language (PHP, *.NET, etc.) can both create the image and serve it as a download to the user.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by requinix
    Pretty much any time you want something on a webpage where the user can do something and get instant feedback, the solution is Javascript. Provided you have the images, it can handle the frets and lighting up and even a diagram. As for an image, Javascript may be enough (depending exactly what you want to do) otherwise pretty much any server-side language (PHP, *.NET, etc.) can both create the image and serve it as a download to the user.
    Hey thanks a lot for the reply!

So, I can actually create the images in another program (paint or something...), and then actually make certain sections of the image "clickable" (the fretboard), and then the notes on the diagrams (which I also made in the paint program) will have the notes appear on them.

This can all be done using Javascript?

Now, is there a book, website or a starting point that you would recommend?
  7. Come play with me!
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Something to that effect. There are a few ways one could go about it, but to pick the "best" one you'd need to know exactly what you want it to look like and exactly how it should behave. As in yes, you could make an image and then make parts of it clickable, or you can take a "layering" approach and arrange invisible (or not) elements on the page in such a way that they behave sort of like buttons, or something else entirely.

A book or starting point... I'd say learn Javascript from whatever source you find most comfortable: book, online tutorial, videos aren't that great but they work for some people, things like that. Along the way you'll probably learn the important parts of HTML. Beyond that, HTML and CSS in general to make webpages.
  9. No Profile Picture

Awesome thanks a lot! I just bought a book on Amazon. I'm looking forward to learning this!

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo