1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

A hello and a few questions

Hey guys, I am actually just starting to learn how to code and I had a few questions I was hoping someone could help me out with. But first here is a bit of background info: I am 23 and I studied finance in school. I only took one Calc class and two or three statistics classes. I took no classes on anything related to computers whatsoever. Here are my questions:

-Is 23 a little old to start learning this? Just curious. It interests me a lot and I regret waiting so long to learn.

- How strong should my quantitative background be if I want to be a successful programmer? I am not trying to build complex video games or anything remotely like that. I want to learn how to build websites, apps, and finance related/trading stuff I won't get into.

-Just out of curiosity, look at instagram and snapchat. Those look like pieces of software that are not extremely complicated to an uninformed person like me. Are they? Could a person learn how to make something like that within a few years of consistent study? Or are all of the popular websites we use works of art that very few people can create?

Thanks.
  3. --
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by Massimiliano
    -Is 23 a little old to start learning this? Just curious. It interests me a lot and I regret waiting so long to learn.
    Then why don't you simply do it? Becoming a decent programmer is not like becoming the next Mozart or something.

If you're willing to learn, you can start programming at any age. You don't need to be a genius.

- How strong should my quantitative background be if I want to be a successful programmer? I am not trying to build complex video games or anything remotely like that. I want to learn how to build websites, apps, and finance related/trading stuff I won't get into.
    What's a "quantitative background"?

-Just out of curiosity, look at instagram and snapchat. Those look like pieces of software that are not extremely complicated to an uninformed person like me. Are they? Could a person learn how to make something like that within a few years of consistent study? Or are all of the popular websites we use works of art that very few people can create?
    They're more complicated than they look like from the outside, but this isn't rocket science. Yes, you can probably implement the basic functionalities after some years of training.
    The 6 worst sins of security ē How to (properly) access a MySQL database with PHP

Why canít I use certain words like "drop" as part of my Security Question answers?
    There are certain words used by hackers to try to gain access to systems and manipulate data; therefore, the following words are restricted: "select," "delete," "update," "insert," "drop" and "null".
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Then why don't you simply do it? Becoming a decent programmer is not like becoming the next Mozart or something.

If you're willing to learn, you can start programming at any age. You don't need to be a genius.
    I decided to start learning Python as my first language. Started dabbling with it a bit and it is very interesting. My schedule is not as hectic as it once was, so I can dedicate around 3 hours a day to learning. Still wish I started earlier regardless.

What's a "quantitative background"?
    Basically Math & Statistics. I just wondered how much math was required to build your typical website. Not that it is problem, b/c I am fine with learning what I need to know.

They're more complicated than they look like from the outside, but this isn't rocket science. Yes, you can probably implement the basic functionalities after some years of training.
    Interesting. Thanks a lot for the response. I am not sure what the "basic functionalities" are, but as I said earlier I am not trying to develop a new physics engine or anything like that.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo