1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Help with learning how to make a 2D RPG

I've recently come up with an idea for a game and the more I think about it and flesh out ideas, the more I want to actually make it. I've got some experience with Java, took 2 classes in it. I can make some simple programs, GUIs, I guess I'm at an intermediate level. I've never programmed a game though, except for a simple matching game or tic-tac-toe.

I want to learn C# to program this game. I've read that it's similar to Java and it's good for programming games, plus I also intend on making it for Windows. So I guess my question is where do I start? I've started looking at some basic tutorials on this site, but I'm looking for something that will be more focused on 2D games. A book would be nice, since I prefer a more structured approach instead of searching for random, unconnected tutorials online. But if anyone has any relevant links I would greatly appreciate it. I'm also a little confused about the .NET and XNA frameworks and how those will come into play, what they are, etc.

The game will have the same general tone and gameplay as Cthulhu Saves the World, in case anyone is interested. It's a retro, parody RPG.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Well, after a bit of searching I found this series of tutorials on C#. I've been at it for two days now, I'm just about to start the tutorial on Classes. A lot of it is very similar to what I already learned in my Java classes, so I'm going through the series pretty quickly. There are also some tutorials on XNA 4.0 which I plan to check out after I'm done with the C# stuff. I also found a lengthy tutorial series on how to make a 2D RPG in XNA 4.0 (don't know how I missed that one when I was Googling stuff).

Sorry if this should've been in the Game Developers thread.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo