1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

hex edit without conversion?

Hi,

I have a binary file that I'm currently converting to a hex file which I can then edit values using a script, then converting it back to a binary file.

The conversion between bin>hex>bin takes a while and wondered if there is a better way

my question is can I edit a binary file in hex 'form' without having to convert it back & forth?

I know there are hexviewers but I cant script with them.

Thanks
  3. Forgotten Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Script how? I use XVI32, which apparently supports some degree of scripting but I've never used that part so I couldn't tell you anything more about it.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Hi,

I'm using autoit to modify values of the dumped hex file before converting it back to a binary. I'm using xxd for the file conversion but this is the bit I want to avoid because it can take a while depending on the file size.

I noticed if I open a binary file in a hex viewer, no additional space is used as I can see from my hdd free space in 'my computer', so I assume they just modify the hex of a binary file without the need to convert from bin to hex first and back again.

Do you see what I mean?

Thanks
  7. Forgotten Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

They don't modify anything. Regular editors show you characters and stuff, right? "Hex editors" show you the hex byte values. Like a file with "abc" would show that in a text editor but show "0x61 0x62 0x63" (and potentially the characters too) in a hex editor.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo