1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

ASP or PHP?

I see a lot a lot of good information about java, c, c++ and so on. However very little about ASP(.net) and PHP.

Could someone please enlighten me as i know very little about both, the differences between the 2 and how strong they are in terms of programming.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Intermediate (1500 - 1999 posts)

ASP is not a programming language, is a web framework that lets you plug in any language that supports Microsoft's Active Scripting architecture. ASP programs are usually written in VBScript since that is what all the ASP documentation uses, but you can also use JScript (MS's version of JavaScript), Python, Perl and probably several other languages.

I have no experience of PHP programming other than reading a book on it, so I cannot comment on the merits of the language itself. However both ASP and PHP allow you to freely mix code and HTML markup in the same file, which IMHO can lead to a tangled mess that eventually becomes unmaintainable. It is possible to use both PHP and ASP without doing that, but in both cases you are fighting against the grain of the language/framework.

Dave
  5. No Profile Picture
    Redpill

Congrats you 2 gravediggers,

You have just succeeded in the enourmous task of digging up a 7-month-old thread!!!!!

[CONFETTI]Celebrations[/CONFETTI]

7. No Profile Picture

I'm not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but I feel I should. C# is cross-platform, it works on windows and linux! I don't know about mac, but it certainly works on linux. Although without the .net framework (they're may be close copies of the framework for linux though, I don't know). So learning C# on linux would vary quite abit from learning it on windows, I assume.
  9. Type Cast Exception
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

You have just succeeded in the enourmous task of digging up a 7-month-old thread!!!!!
    495 days later ...

Comments on this post

• LyonHaert agrees : Yeah, how do you dig up a sticky thread?
    medialint.com

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Seuss
  11. No Profile Picture

The real word

Ok so lots of people will be able to argure the toss over which language offer the best perfomance etc. etc. and to be fair to them, they are probably rite.

What I will add is for thouse who are at the beginning of their programming journey and at this point have not ruled out using their skill commertially later on in life.

If you are new to the game, pick the language that seems to be recent yet established. C# seems to get all the backing from Microsoft and is wide spread in the commertial world. You wouldn’t find yourself out of a job as all the code you work on gets gradually replaced by the new latest thing.

Dare I say it, at the end of the day, one laungage is pretty much the same as the next. You get decent GUIs to help programme with C#, so why work twice as hard to achive the same thing. The important thing is that you get started and enjoy what you do (ABAP would be an exaple of a launguage that sends you to sleep).
  13. No Profile Picture

Recently I have found nearby company that works mainly in .NET, and I think it will be good to me to work there but unfortunately I have no previous experience in .NET world. I know, php, html, c, java. Would it be wise to invest some time into .NET and would most economical path would you recomend ? (of course never touched C#, VB)

At the moment I am studing MSDN web site to figure out which way to go. I would appreciate any advise from you professionals.

tia
  15. Contributing User

If you think it would be a good idea to work for a nearby company (this could be a good thing since you're close to the company's location) that just so happens to use the .NET framework, then just study .NET. I'm no fan of .NET, but if I might still take on a .NET job if it was nearby like in your case. I wouldn't use .NET at home, I'd just use it when they want me to.
  17. No Profile Picture

Advice ?

Hey,

I am due to start a programming Course in Liverpool, England. The course offers three types of Languages to learn (Visual Basic.net. Java and SQL) I am only 18. And have a vast Knowledge of windows xp . I am just wondering what language to learn and hopefully get a job out of it. Just looking for the best advice for my situation really.
  19. Contributing User

vb.net over java unless u want cross-platform. and vb.net just windows only. but java is slower so go vb.net

Sorry I though it was September 13th for some reason.
    Last edited by Kiryn; December 3rd, 2007 at 05:44 PM.
    [img]
    http://r2.fodey.com/1922b06d7e4284cce9657003fdf330220.1.gif
    [/img]

21. Not much of a contributor
    Devshed Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

agree with vb.net but

731 days later...
  23. No Profile Picture

Programming langauges for data base

Hi,
    could you please help me out?
    I would like to know which programme langauge will be the best for writing a web based data base. I'm a novis to programming and I'm interested in learning a programming langauge. A data base would be a great challenge. I think!! Thanks
  25. No Profile Picture

Here is a tutorial on how to write IQSL_w in ASP http://www.15seconds.com/issue/990805.htm As you're saying, you want to learn a new language, I'd say read through the thread and go with C# or VB and ASP.Net. It will be the most rewarding choice, moneywise. Plus, nowadays, there's almost nothing that ASP.Net wouldn't be able to deal with, that other webdev languages/frameworks would.
  27. No Profile Picture

Question

Originally Posted by nnxion
    It all depends on what you (as programmer) want.........

For web choose: Perl, PHP, ASP(.NET), in combination with HTML, CSS and Javascript......

Of course this is just my opinion.
    You could see this as the following:
    This is exactly the answer to the question that I have been searching hi and low for...
    I am just getting comfortable with X(HTML) and CSS. However I'm not really sure what the best logical next step would be, and in what order. And one other question, what about AJAX?...
    If someone knowledgeable could put all of these options in order of precedence, as far as usefulness as a Web Developer, which would you choose, in what order, as a course of study , and if you have time, why?

Thanks much in advance for any replies or emails.

J.
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by jbylake
    This is exactly the answer to the question that I have been searching hi and low for...
    I am just getting comfortable with X(HTML) and CSS. However I'm not really sure what the best logical next step would be, and in what order. And one other question, what about AJAX?...
    If someone knowledgeable could put all of these options in order of precedence, as far as usefulness as a Web Developer, which would you choose, in what order, as a course of study , and if you have time, why?

Thanks much in advance for any replies or emails.

J.
    Next PHP and javascript, AJAX after you have gotten into javascript.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo