1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Need some insight [moved from PHP]

Hey everyone. Here is my story, I will try to keep it short.

I created my first website on geocities when I was 11. I worked on it for about a month and then never coded again until just a few weeks ago (I am 25 now). I started pursuing an IT career two years ago at age 23 because I was an electrician following high school and I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. I enrolled in college to find a new passion, took some IT courses, and just recently have gone back to my routes of programming.

I still was not sure about what I wanted to do in IT when I first enrolled, so I decided to go after a certification just to get my foot in the door somewhere. Well now I am really starting to realize that I want to be a programmer. I love typing code in and then seeing the result; to create whatever I want.

So I have been studying for the CompTIA security + exam the past couple months, and am planning on taking it next week. The problem is, I don't think this will help me get an entry level programming job.

I need some direction.

What jobs would be a good fit for someone like me who enjoys making websites?

What certifications should I shoot for to prove my knowledge of programming?

I plan to learn all of the major languages. Some will be self study, but I have taken an intro programming course at college, and plan to take a more advanced one next semester.
  3. Transforming Moderator
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Originally Posted by Kimura410
    "Web developer" is the generic term. Look at the individual job descriptions and see if they match you.

Zend's [edit] if you're looking for something to do with PHP [/edit]. I don't put much stock in any others.

I plan to learn all of the major languages. Some will be self study, but I have taken an intro programming course at college, and plan to take a more advanced one next semester.
    One step at a time. Learn one well, then another well, then another. Mediocre knowledge of 10 languages is much less useful than expert knowledge in 2.
    Last edited by requinix; August 23rd, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture

Sorry, just realized I should have posted this in the Beginner's Forum.
  7. Web Developer/Musician
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

I created my first website on geocities when I was 11. I worked on it for about a month and then never coded again until just a few weeks ago (I am 25 now). I started pursuing an IT career two years ago at age 23 because I was an electrician following high school and I didn't want to do that for the rest of my life. I enrolled in college to find a new passion, took some IT courses, and just recently have gone back to my routes of programming.

I still was not sure about what I wanted to do in IT when I first enrolled, so I decided to go after a certification just to get my foot in the door somewhere. Well now I am really starting to realize that I want to be a programmer. I love typing code in and then seeing the result; to create whatever I want.

So I have been studying for the CompTIA security + exam the past couple months, and am planning on taking it next week. The problem is, I don't think this will help me get an entry level programming job.

I need some direction.

I have worked in a small web shop where I did more than code but if you want something good they will never ask you to crack open a computer. Find out what technologies are hot and know them backwards and forwards. I just went from doing PHP for almost 12 years to doing Ruby on Rails. Learned Ruby and Rails in roughly 5 days (not every hour of the day mind you). Knowing XML, web services, more than one popular language (lisp skills aren't going to be marketable), everywhere Javascript is used (like node) and mobile dev of some sort.

I've branched off into Java, C++, D and HAXE although unfortunately I have not done a lot of practical projects in any of those yet. Just knowing it will only get you so far. BUT if you market an app using something like that, even if it's simple that is much more impressive.
  9. No Profile Picture

I need some direction.

Hi Kimura410,

What is the end goal, just out of curiosity? Are you looking to setup your own web design/hosting company? Or looking to work for a company.

All the best!
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the responses, they have been helpful and thought provoking.

I like the idea of mastering one language, but knowing at least the basics of a few others.

Josh I am glad that you asked this question. You know lately, I have really been exploring the idea of becoming self employed. It may not work out but I won't attempt it until I have gotten some professional experience and figure out a plan for what services I would provide as a business. So for right now, I plan to work for someone else in order to gain experience and to buy me some time to make those big decisions for the rest of my life.

My initial idea was to get really good at building websites and then just make them for businesses, however, it seems that do it yourself sites like wix and wordpress are taking care of that demand. So I want to get so good at programming that I can make my own programs/applications/software and come up with something helpful that hasn't been done yet. I have an interest in designing within the mobile infrastructure, so maybe when I get good I will move on to that platform and maybe design an app or a game. I know this won't make me a millionaire overnight but maybe I could live off of it combined with other projects.

Right now I am using w3 to relearn the basics of HTML, but they haven't changed much since I was 11 so I am picking it back up quickly. I plan to get the basics of HTML, CSS, C+, JAVA, then PHP and just kind of see where this takes me.

The good thing is that the desire is there. My ideal job right now would be programming. I'm eager to learn more about it. I am still going to attempt the security + exam because I know the content like the back of my hand now. Then I will start applying to entry level web developer/entry lvl programming jobs like crazy after I get it, then maybe take a few programming classes in college to expand my horizons.
  13. No Profile Picture

There is a lot to learn, and a lot of work to gain the experience, and it's refreshing to see that you seem to have the enthusiasm required.

As requinix stated, get really good at a language or two. This will help with the more abstract concepts, and will allow you to pick up another language quickly. For example, even though Object Oriented Programming(OOP) is different in every language, many of the core concepts are the same, just tweaked throughout various languages, so learning OOP in PHP will help you adapt if you're to pick it up in say Java or Python.

It's also important to know what youre getting in to. The best way is through experience, but the experience of others could possibly help you evert an occupational disaster.

Different companies\work environments can differ greatly, even for the same exact job. Ive worked at places(PHP\Javascript\Perl developer) where all I had to do was code. Others youre expected to do some of the design. Some places are forward thinking and like new ideas, but many do not and will not allow you to stray from their norm. Some places allow you to express yourself creatively through your coding, while many places will not allow that. Everything from the tools you use, to the team spirit will vary greatly.

Hope you find what youre looking for.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo