1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

This is the most bazarre thing. After using the Internet for several hours, it starts not working at all. First, individual images aren't found, and then after a few minutes nothing will be found - the browser (IE5) clicks a few times and then I get an error 'search site not found' or whatever.

It's probably NOT a problem in IE5, as the same happens in Outlook Express and also with FTP.

Here's my specs: Win' 98 SE machine, connected to Internet via BT OpenWorld (USB Stingray modem). Connected to a LAN so others can share connection. I was using NAT32 for this, and thought that was the problem. However, I've since changed to using WinRoute and was dumbstruck when I saw the problem was still occuring.

And just to make it even weirder, once the problem has occurred, I can't even access web pages which I serve from Apache on my own machine!

Any ideas?

------------------
    -----------
    Jake Gordon
    Remove "SPAM" below,
    jakegSPAM@lineone.net
    www.jakeyg.com
  3. No Profile Picture

Is the internet connection still there? If not does your ISP break connections after a set time (some free ISPs do).

I had a problem on an old zenith laptop a few years ago and the PCMCIA modem was overheating after an hour or so and it did some unpredictable things and broke the connection.

Is it possible that your PC is overheating? Does it always happen after a simillar amount of time? Do offline applications behave correctly?

A load of questions but I hope it points you in the right direction.

Andy J
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the reply,

I'm using BTOPenworld for the Internet, which is always-on ADSL. However, it uses as USB modem from Alcatel, which occassionally crashes the machine because it's too power hungry. I don't think this is the problem here though.

I can view offline pages, if I put "view offline" on in IE, however I can't view locally served pages (from the same PC) and hence the problem probably isn't with the Internet connection (I don't need one to view them).

It can't be overheating surely, because I don't overclock my PC, and it's only the net that stops working. I was thinking more along the lines of network settings due to the LAN or something like that?

------------------
    -----------
    Jake Gordon
    Remove "SPAM" below,
    jakegSPAM@lineone.net
    www.jakeyg.com
  7. No Profile Picture

JakeyG, you are probably right with the idea that it is the LAN settings. If it wasn't for the usb modem I would say go for the Lynksys router/switch, and have the router do all the dirty work. Have you tried pulling your LAN link and testing the access just between you and the modem? That definately would give you a starting point.
  9. No Profile Picture

It's my computer that's connected immediately to the USB modem, so it shouldn't really have any effect. I think, when I turn NAT32 or WinRoute off, teh computer will work fine, so it must be a problem in how the two of those work... no?

It's just hard to test the problem though, because it takes hours before it starts to occur. For example, I booted up yesterday at 9am, and it wasn't until 11pm that the problem started to occur.

------------------
    -----------
    Jake Gordon
    Remove "SPAM" below,
    jakegSPAM@lineone.net
    www.jakeyg.com

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo