1. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Learn one language at a time?

I started Uni last week, and we're primarily coding with C++...

Would it be best / easier just to concentrate on mastering C++ before programming with other languages? I sometimes find I forget the syntax of one language I've learnt when I spend time on another, or should I keep trying to learn them side-by-side if that will help me in the long run?
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

The most important is how you feel is the best way you can learn.
    Learning a language should/can be related to what you want to create. There are pros and cons of every languag, which is the good reason to learn as much/many as possible.

That said, if you just started with programming, I will suggest you get familiar with the basic of one language.
    Mastering C++ (or any language for that matter) will takes many years.

Syntax wise, C++ does have a similar syntax with the other language, such as Java, C# and PHP.
    So by having knowledge of one language can help you to learn a new one a bit faster.
  5. No Profile Picture

I would definitely recommend focusing mainly upon one language at time rather than starting to try and learn multiple langauges off the bat.

You will probably find that, as C++ shares syntax with a number of other languages, your knowledge of programming 'in general' increases and you find any future attempts to learn a new language far easier than if you try and learn multiple languages straight away!
  7. Contributing User

Otay, Thanks guys!
  9. No Profile Picture

Just to share my experience, I started learning the basics of python (just python, by 3-4 months), then I switched to C (learning python GUI/DB and the basics of C at the same time).
    At the time, I found that writing guides/cheat-sheets really help me to emphasize the differences between the syntax (despite being languages so different).
    Now, I'm learning ActionScript3.0, Javascript, C++, PHP and LUA _, with the help of my guides (normally, most are only 'JS/C++ for_loop.txt' => just as in C _) when I start typing some code, all the others dissapear from my mind.
    However, I try to focus on a lenguaje (AS3.0), practice a little in the ones I already know (py & c) and spend a little every day (or two) on those who are not so necessary or heavy (JS and LUA)
    It's not really so hard (perhaps a little slower).

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo