Thread: Machine code

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Machine code

Hello. I'm wondering when viewing and editing machine code ( ones and zeros ) would be necessary. At my job, the lowest level viewing and editing is done with a hex editor. From my research, it appears that that is pretty much the lowest level editor used by most computer professionals. Is it possible to view and edit a single bit in a hex editor? And what would be the reason for it? Thanks.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by dmac0505
    Hello. I'm wondering when viewing and editing machine code ( ones and zeros ) would be necessary. At my job, the lowest level viewing and editing is done with a hex editor. From my research, it appears that that is pretty much the lowest level editor used by most computer professionals. Is it possible to view and edit a single bit in a hex editor? And what would be the reason for it? Thanks.
    I have dealt with hex data and machine instruction. If you are working on embedded systems, then there will be a rare (very rare) occasion that you would need to change the machine instruction on a JTAG Probe connected to a microcontroller board, and see how the microcontroller would behave. If you are working on application software, you won't have to worry about the machine language. However, you may be involved on hex data for certain issues, such as possible corrupted data file transmitted on the network.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo