1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New to Networking/Programming and I Need Help!

I hope this is the right place to turn, I'm really at a loss. I am currently enrolled in an Introduction to Networking class at my college, and what I have come to learn over this semester is that jumping into any kind of computer IT program is hard enough, but with an online course with book learning only and no hands on, I am completely lost. I just need to make it through the last bit, and there are certain parts of assignments I cannot find anywhere. It has hands on projects, but does not include the software to complete said projects.

I had no prior knowledge of networking, programming, or any of the above, and at this point, I just want to make it through this class. I would have gladly dropped it as I can see I am in over my head, but I am on FAFSA funding and cannot drop below 12 credits without the risk of academic probation.

Anyone willing to aid an IT idiot in any way would be much appreciated, I hope I came to the right place.

Thanks for the consideration,
    Luminous
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

You are welcome to post any of your specific problems.
    Just be as descriptive as possible and when you post code, don't forget to use the code tags.

Please take a look at the sticky notes as well.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks! And I did check the stickies about posting. It's less about specific code, and more questions I just cannot figure out or find the answers to. I will post them and see if anyone knows.

How many bits must be reallocated from host ID to network ID to create 16 subnets?

What is the correct order of headers, from left to right, in a completed frame?
    a. Frame, TCP, IP
    b. UDP, frame, IP
    c. TCP, IP, frame
    d. Frame, IP, UDP

Which of the following is a task performed by the Network access layer? (Select all that apply)
    a. Verifies that incoming frames have the correct destination MAC address
    b. Defines and verifies IP addresses
    c. Transmits and receives bit signals
    d. Resolves MAC addresses by using IP addresses
    e. Delivers packets efficiently

What field of the IP header does the Tracert program use to get the IP address of routers in the path?
    a. Version
    b. TTL
    c. Checksum
    d. Protocol

Which of the following is not found in a connectionless Transport-layer protocol? (choose all that apply)
    a. Three-way handshake
    b. Port numbers
    c. Checksum
    d. Acknowledgements
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Most of these can be found on Wikipedia. Specifically, you need to really understand HOW to find the answer to the first one if you're going to do anything with networking.

Since I'm feeling charitable:
    1) 4
    2) (A) is the closest, but frames are far more complicated than this. Your book (Guide to Networking Essentials) covers it explicitly.
    3) For various communications protocols, A, and E, though you could make an argument for C
    4) D
    5) Nothing is found in a "connectionless" connection, since you don't have a connection you don't get any signal. Either this is a trick question or you need to use the book to define "connectionless."
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Having worked in IT for a while now and learning most of my skills via self learning and "googling" you really need to learn to research the answers not having a go but after a uni degree, microsoft certification, most have my skills have been learnt googling. I have sat with senior software engineers and database developers and they get all funny when they dont know the answer off the top of their head. There is nothing wrong with " googling" but if you cant find what your looking for, post it here and il do my best to help you. Been in your position and its a pain, so anything i can help you with, i dont mind , beats the how do i add a printer or how di i reset my password nonsense!!!

Just checked the date on your post after writing that duh!
  11. No Profile Picture

All my answers. It is correct (or my teacher is wrong).

What is the decimal equivalent to the binary number 11000001?

Which TCP/IP model layer takes a large chunk of data from the Application layer and breaks it into smaller segments?
    Transport

An IP address consists of four octets separated by periods. Which part of this address denotes its class?
    first octet

Which of the following is not an Application layer protocol?
    TCP

DNS is a protocol that automatically provides a computer with its IP address configuration.
    False

In what layer does the NIC operate?
    Network Access

In which layer does a router operate?
    Internetwork

The Transport layer deals with which unit of information?
    Segment

IPX/SPX is considered the protocol suite of the Internet, and it is the most widely used protocol suite in LANs.
    False

How many bits are available in an IPv6 network for creating subnets when the prefix is /48 and the host ID is 64 bits?

Which of the following is the term for identifying packets used by TCP to establish a connection?
    Three-way handshake

If a protocol is routable, at which TCP/IP layer does it operate?
    Internetwork

The subnet mask of an IP address does which of the following?
    Defines network and host portions of an IP address

Which part of a computerís IP address configuration indicates the portion of the address that specifies the network ID?
    subnet mask

How many host bits are necessary to assign addresses to 62 hosts?

How many host addresses are available on a Class C network?

Which IP addressing process enables workstations to use private IP addresses to access the Internet?
    NAT

The Internetwork layer is the layer that handles network configuration and is considered the heart of the TCP/IP protocol suite.
    True

Which of the following protocols resolves logical addresses to physical addresses?
    ARP

When a Windows computer is configures to use DHCP, but no DHCP server is available, what type of address is configured automatically for it?
    APIPA

The subnet mask of an IP address does which of the following?
    Defines network and host portions of an IP address

IPX/SPX is considered the protocol suite of the Internet, and it is the most widely used protocol suite in LANs
    False

An IP address consists of four octets separated by periods. Which part of this address denotes its class?
    1st octet

Which of the following is the term for identifying packets used by TCP to establish a connection?
    3-way handshake

What field of the IP header does the Tracert program use to get the IP address of routers in the path?
    TTL

An IP address is composed of 48 bits that are grouped together into 8-bit octets and are represented by a decimal number from 0 to 255.
    False

Which of the following protocols resolves logical addresses to physical addresses?
    ARP

If a protocol is routable, at which TCP/IP layer does it operate?
    Internetwork

How many host addresses are available on a Class C network?

What is the hexadecimal number F equal to in binary?

Which protocol can configure a computers ip address and subnet mask automatically?
    DHCP

How many bits must be reallocated from host id to network id to create 16 subnets?

What is the binary number system based on?
    powers of 2

How many bits are in an IPv6 address?

Which of the following is not an Application layer protocol?
    TCP

How many host bits are necessary to assign addresses to 62 hosts?

The Transport layer deals with which unit of information?
    Segment

Which IP addressing process enables workstations to use private IP addresses to access the Internet?
    NAT

An IPv6 address is made up of how many bits?

Which of the following is not a function of the Network Access layer?
    delivers packets efficiently

The Transport layer uses port numbers to identify the source and destination Application-layer protocol of the data that it contains.
    True

TCP establishes a connection with the destination device using which process?
    three-way handshake

You are the network administrator for a company that uses a private addressing scheme for its internal network. You have 300 workstations that regularly access the Internet. What process must be in operation on your network to allow all the workstations to have access to the Internet using only one public IP address?
    PAT

Which protocol is responsible for determining the MAC address associated with each IP address and keeping a table of its results?
    ARP

The last 64 bits of an IPv6 address are the interface identifier. Where is that number derived from?
    the MAC address

What is the decimal equivalent to the hexadecimal number D?

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo