1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Question

Hello. I'm looking to make a career change into web developing but as a newbie I don't know where to start.
    I am considering taking certificate programs at a university in web technologies however its pretty expensive and time consuming, so I don't want to go down the wrong path. Does anyone know of any good programs in the Boston, new york or new jersey area for someone who already has a useless college degree. How did you guys who are in the profession get your start and is it possible for someone without a computer science degree? I mean I know HTML and graphic applications but no other programming, so where do I go from here? Thank you all for any help you can give.
  3. No Profile Picture
    PerlGuy
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Wink

Hey,
    I'm a programmer involved in more than just Web-Development and I have no degree at all. (lucky me!) I started off with HTML as you did, which is essential to get into web-development. At this point though, you're going to want to learn some other web-technology such as: PHP, JavaScript, ASP(blech!), or even Perl(for CGI).

I taught myself Perl out of a book([url="http://www.oreilly.com"]Oreilly{/url] books are great), and from there I moved into:
    1. The many things you can do with Perl
    2. PHP and Javascript
    3. Relational Databases(a MUST as far as I'm concerned)
    4. Internet protocols and network stuff

Don't get intimidated. Just keep at it and remember that it takes time. Classes are probably a good idea as they will indicate to a potential employer that you probably know you're stuff.

Also, don't just learn this stuff by reading it. Do it. Build some sites, just for your own use. Set up your own computer with a web-server and some scripting languages. Practice this stuff and put down whatever you do on a resume.

It takes time but if you're persistent and motivated you'll do it.

Hope that helps,
    - dsb -
    Perl Guy
  5. No Profile Picture
    Unauthorized User ;)

I'm like DSB, i have no degree and until 1996 I hated computers anyway.....just picked up a book and got into it one day...best thing i can tell you is to learn html first, then start supplementing your html knowledge with something like CSS.

Next big step for me was conquering OOP...just read up on the theory of Object Oriented Programming (will make almost every language you attepmt that much easier!!)....Before you spend alot of time and money commited to learning a language read up online about them in tutorials first...I never learned perl or Java because i didn't like the syntax but i learned php in a week all with online tutorials and that was about 2 months ago, now i have a job as a web developer......

don't get discouraged if it takes some time or you don't understand something....just think it out, or put it down and try in a few days, sometimes you just need a break!

above all never fear asking questions...the internet is full of people who will gladly help you if you are stuck on something!! Once you build a core of web development skills start looking for a job in your hometown. Once you find one get some experience and then start hunting the big bucks
  7. No Profile Picture

hey chris!

Do you know of any good php tutorials?

I've decided on getting into it, and have found some so,so tutes...

the best one so far is DevShed's own...

this goes for everyone...do you know of any good php tutes???

thanks...(sorry for stealing the topic..)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Unauthorized User ;)

Talking I learned from Dev Shed

Dev Shed's tutorial was all i need to learn php (well that and a hefty dose of reading the manual, php is so well documented that anyone learning the language owes it to themselves to go all over the manual once you understand the basics )

other than that http://www.newbienetwork.com is another one i used for learning the language also.....

hope that helps

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo