1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Newbie help SEO says 2 home pages

Hi all I Created my own website and I'm not an expert on site design or programming, I uploaded my site with Dreamweaver
    a SEO scan of my site says I have 2 identical content pages

www dot 123 dot com

and

www dot 123 dot com/index.html

I have only uploaded www dot 123 dot com/index.html as my home page

If I delete the home page /index.html from the main directory on the server my page cannot be found live in a browser.
    Any help would be appreciated
  3. Code Monkey V. 0.9
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

You always need an "index" page as you've seen. Web servers mostly look for index.html, index.htm, defualt.htm, index.php, index.asp or they will look through a list to find the first matching file name.

You would be showing two home pages because your home page links on your site are pointing to 'http://site.com/index.html' and not 'http://site.com' as they really should be.

Overall this isn't a huge deal. it's not perfect but it's not to bad. Google and most other SE's realise that index.html and other files like that are meant to be index pages, so don't penalise you much if at all. If you are worried about it, change all of the links to only have the domain name in them without the index.html part after it.
  5. No Profile Picture

Hi Catacaustic
    Thanks for the tip, I have changed the links but still getting SEO warning
    The breadcrumb home may be the problem but i dont think that can be changed
    [code]
    <div id="breadcrumb"><script language="JavaScript">breadCrumbs("wwwdotmysitedotcom",">","index.html","style3","style3","style3"," 0");</script></div>

[code]
  7. Code Monkey V. 0.9

I can't be 100% sure of how that bit of JavaScript works because I can't see the breadCrumbs() function, but I'd think that instead of "index.html" you should probably be able to use "/" or even just "" there.
  9. No Profile Picture

[code]
    <script language="Javascript" type="text/javascript">
    function breadCrumbs(base,delStr,defp,cStyle,tStyle,dStyle,nl) { // by Paul Davis - url blocked
    loc=window.location.toString();subs=loc.substr(loc.indexOf(base)+base.length+1).split("/");
    document.write('<a href="'+getLoc(subs.length-1)+defp+'" class="'+cStyle+'">Home</a> '+'<span class="'+dStyle+'">'+delStr+'</span> ');
    a=(loc.indexOf(defp)==-1)?1:2;for (i=0;i<(subs.length-a);i++) { subs[i]=makeCaps(unescape(subs[i]));
    document.write('<a href="'+getLoc(subs.length-i-2)+defp+'" class="'+cStyle+'">'+subs[i]+'</a> '+'<span class="'+dStyle+'">'+delStr+'</span> ');}
    if (nl==1) document.write("<br>");document.write('<span class="'+tStyle+'">'+document.title+'</span>');
    }
    function makeCaps(a) {
    g=a.split(' ');for (l=0;l<g.length;l++) g[l]=g[l].toUpperCase().slice(0,1)+g[l].slice(1);
    return g.join(" ");
    }
    function getLoc(c) {
    var d="";if (c>0) for (k=0;k<c;k++) d=d+"../"; return d;
    }
    function MM_goToURL() { //v3.0
    var i, args=MM_goToURL.arguments; document.MM_returnValue = false;
    for (i=0; i<(args.length-1); i+=2) eval(args[i]+".location='"+args[i+1]+"'");
    }
    </script>
    [code]

I think this is the breadcrumb code
  11. Code Monkey V. 0.9

Did you try my suggestion above? Did it work or not?
    Code:
    <div id="breadcrumb"><script language="JavaScript">breadCrumbs("wwwdotmysitedotcom",">","/","style3","style3","style3","0");</script></div>
  13. No Profile Picture

I tried "/" and also "", but the breadcrumb wont list the index page of the sub folder.
    eg.

Normally it lists Home>Sony>part

with your suggestion Home>part

Cheers
  15. No Profile Picture

It was suggested a 301 redirect but I only have the one physical home page .index in the main directory. Not sure what to do now.
  17. No Profile Picture

It is bad for on page you have to redirect it with the help of 301 otherwise search engine declare it in duplicate content both pages has a different url...So you have to take some action before doing some SEO works on it....
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think redirecting the URL will help you to solve this issue. Use 301 to redirect the URL permanently.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo