1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am newbie to LINUX; therefore my question might be too simple for some of you. I am trying to setup a Linux system consisting of three servers, as follows:
    1. Server 1 (S1) a DNS Server only
    2. Server 2 (S2) a WWW Server to host one or more web sites
    3. Server 3 (S3) ftp/mail/DNS (slave)

I also have an NT network consisting of one NT Server (NTS) and three Workstations (WS). NTS has several Microsoft packages including Proxy installed on it.

So here comes the Qs:

(a) How do I setup the NT system so it can access the Linux system (specially WWW) over the LAN?
    (b) What software do I need to install on Linux so I can publish web updates using Front Page? Is there any HOWTO or can someone explain how it is done?

My thanks in advance.

Kirti
  3. No Profile Picture

To get a Microsoft OS to see a LINUX file system use SAMBA (allows SMB protocol traffic). http://ie.samba.org/samba/about.html
    Gives some details as to what it's all about. Most LINUX installation CDs have a copy already to install.

Apache is the most commonly used web server on LINUX (www.apache.org). Again some LINUX installation CDs have a copy ready to install.
    As far as Front Page Server extensions I think there is a way of Apache handling them, you could try posting the question in the Apache Forum.

Andy J
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

SAMBA will allow you to access the Linux system like it was a Win32 system, but it won't help accessing the web server (you can see the system if you go to Network Neighborhood).

If you use TCP/IP, all you have to do to access the web server is use the IP address. If you are using DNS, then use the name that has been assigned to that system.

As far as Frontpage, with extra software, Apache can be set up to work with FP 98 and 2000 (see http://www.faure.de/Apache+SSL+PHP+fp-howto-1p.html - you can ignore the stuff about SSL, PHP and GD).

For ftp and mail, again all you need to do use use the IP or the name of the system to access it.

[This message has been edited by chris22 (edited November 15, 2000).]

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo