1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Angry

I used to work on MS Windows Platform but recently found that Linux Platform is very interesting. However, I have some difficulties in using Windows concept to understand Linux. Can anyone help me to start up learning? The followings are a few of my questions:

1. I successfully installed Redhat 6.0. It comes with older version of Netscape and Apache Server. How can I replace them with newer versions. Do I need to uninstall them before installing new ones?

2. What is the normal procedure of completely removing an application from Linux?

3. I try to install Redhat 6.0 on a Notebook PC (Acer Travelmate 345). The installation process is quite smooth. However, when I boot the PC with this installation, it hung up at "starting pcmcia..." during the start up routine. Why?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Gödelian monster
    Devshed Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Welcome to Linux.

Yes you should uninstall Apache before installing a new one. There should be has a couple graphical package management tools. One is called 'glint' (a little older and clumsier) and the other is called 'gnorpm'. Each of these will show installed software in a folder tree view, and you can browse through and uninstall anything you want.

Linux doesn't have a registry like windows, so its not that hard to uninstall things manually, once you know the system layout a little better. I wouldn't recommend it now, but the hint is: most systemwide configuration files reside in '/etc', and for binaries and shared libraries look for the */bin, */sbin, */lib, */libexec and */include folders.

For the TravelMate: have you tried starting up with and without a pcmcia card? Also, you might want a newer version of RedHat, for better hardware detection. I would recommend version 6.2, rather than version 7.0, as the "dot zero" releases have more bugs.

Some useful web addresses:

www.linuxnewbie.com
    www.linuxnewbie.org
    www.linux.com
    www.linuxstart.com

www.tek-tips.com has a good section on linux

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/ (IBM is helping push Linux these days)

If you are working with Apache, you will want to learn the PHP programming language ( www.php.net ). It is quite easy to learn, and it relates well to C, C++, Java and even Javascript programming styles.

After you have mastered Linux, check out FreeBSD ( www.freebsd.org ) for another free Unix OS. Actually it is Unix, while Linux is a Unix clone.
    The real n-tier system:

FreeBSD -> PostgreSQL -> [any_language] -> Apache -> Mozilla/XUL

Amazon wishlist -- rycamor (at) gmail.com
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Cool Upgrading / Removing apps

The methods for upgrading and for removing applications in linux depend upon the method used for installation. If you started with source and did a make; make install etc then to upgrade get the new source and do make; make install again.

If you installed the apps using rpm the redhat package manager then read the help on this as it makes upgrading and removal very easy.

I can't remember the exact switches off hand however to upgrade I think you use

rpm -Uvh my-new-version-of-netscape.rpm

there are switches to erase, install and update, see rpm --help for more info.

There are also other ways such as manually but I would advise using rpm if that is what the package was installed with.

Hope that helps

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo