1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Can I Make This Program

Hi, I would like to pose a question to folks smarter than me. But first a little background.

I have a friend that works in the used car business, and they have to fill out a state form for every car that passes through their lot. He would like to have a program that he can input data about each car (make, model, VIN...) and then be able to search for specific cars by VIN, and then print that information to the state form when needed. Right now everything is kept track of on paper and hand written. We have searched the internet for programs to buy with no luck. So he asked if I knew how to make a program to help out.

I have no knowledge of programming, but I have heard of people learning to program on their own. Does this sound like something that I could learn/do from books and online help? If so, where would I start?

Thanks for any help and advice I receive, even if it's a "Leave it to the pros!"

Shawn
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Sounds like a good project for a beginner. A basic PHP/MySQL tutorial or book will teach you how to build a simple web form with a database back end.

Build the form for entering data first.

Then build the form for retrieving data.

Do the printing last, that will be hardest.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Contributing User
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by sjohnson2312
    Hi, I would like to pose a question to folks smarter than me. But first a little background.

I have a friend that works in the used car business, and they have to fill out a state form for every car that passes through their lot. He would like to have a program that he can input data about each car (make, model, VIN...) and then be able to search for specific cars by VIN, and then print that information to the state form when needed. Right now everything is kept track of on paper and hand written. We have searched the internet for programs to buy with no luck. So he asked if I knew how to make a program to help out.

I have no knowledge of programming, but I have heard of people learning to program on their own. Does this sound like something that I could learn/do from books and online help? If so, where would I start?

Thanks for any help and advice I receive, even if it's a "Leave it to the pros!"

Shawn
    Hi there. As said above you could try PHP/MySQL, but also if you find yourself in trouble, using Microsoft Visual Basic and Access Database (From Microsoft Access, the one that comes with MS Office). You'll find it easy to use and to mantain.

But it will work on Windows only (At least, without some handles first). If you're on Windows, then go ahead, it would be easy.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo