1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Program to convert telephone dial tones (DTMF) to int

While I understand that the telephone dialing uses Dual Tone Multi Frequency to generate the numbers dialed, I cannot understand how the sound can be converted to a float or int that can be interpreted by a program to give the numbers dialed on a touch telephone.
    Nor how to generate the sounds on the PC sound card when entering numbers into a numpad type form.
    Any & all suggestions would be appreciated.
    Many thanks
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

DTMF tones are Dual Tone and Multi Frequency. That means they are more than one sound played at once. Try to whistle a note slightly lower than the note a friend is whistling. That's a dual-tone sound, and cannot be represented by a single number nor produced by a single speaker.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by ManiacDan
    DTMF tones are Dual Tone and Multi Frequency. That means they are more than one sound played at once. Try to whistle a note slightly lower than the note a friend is whistling. That's a dual-tone sound, and cannot be represented by a single number nor produced by a single speaker.

I appreciate your input to my question and I can understand what you are saying, but isn't an mp3 file similar, in-that you have multiple sounds being superimposed over each other.
    OR,
    Have I misunderstood and it requires multiple sounds with multiple frequencies that cannot be re-produced by a PC sound card?

However, even if my analogy of the mp3 file is correct, I cannot see how I can compare the DTMF "sound" input into the program, with a stored file for each tone on a tone dial phone.
  7. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Yes, there are DTMF Mp3s but I meant it's not a single number. A computer speaker setup does indeed have the ability to produce more than one "sound" at once (32+, usually), but specifically atonal sounds are difficult. Those mp3s should be enough to get you started. Note each is labeled with the two frequencies that produce it.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  9. No Profile Picture

Thumbs up

"The light just turned on".
    After reading the link you included in your post, I think I finally have a handle on what I need to do to write the code.

Many thanks for your assistance and patience.

IMN logo majestic logo spyfu logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo