Thread: Program Ideas?

1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Program Ideas?

Hiiiii,

I recently(5months ago) graduated with an A.A.S. degree in Information Technology specializing in Computer Programming from a crappy little community college, and I finally have an interview (after months of searching and applying for every possible job I could find (even fast food jobs DX) this is the first place to call me in for an interview) for a web developer/programmer job. They told me they want me to bring in a portfolio, so I decided to make a website portfolio that highlights what i can do with html/php, with my programs as the focus of the site....

Unfortunately most of the programs I've done amount to pure crap.... they're pretty much a bunch of calculators.... and one good access database (that has been packaged into a program that's being used by the college for employee evaluations)....

I've been racking my brain trying to think of 1 or 2 programs I could make in a few different languages (visual basic, C#, java, maybe corona and if i can manage to learn enough C++) in the next 12 days...

So any ideas for smallish programs that are somewhat impressive would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

p.s.
    I've seen "Project Suggestions by mattaseymour" (cant post the url kas im new) and I'm thinking maybe a daily scheduler/post it note with a pop up reminder thing... mostly because they are about the only things in that post that are "professional" that i cant automatically work it out in my head, or have no clue where to start....
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

Didn't see this for a while, sorry if this is too late.

The "project suggestions" link is a very good one, but the most impressive things are things which you are actually using. Write yourself something you actually use, and show it to them. Even if it's just a task tracker or something, show it off.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo