1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Programmable sound sensor?

Hello All I am new to the forums, I also have very little computer and technical background(putting it out there). I am working on a project and I am wondering if there are sensors that can be programmed to recognize multiple sounds and specific sounds? Or can they be built and what kind of person could help me with something like that. I would like to do it all myself but with my limited education in this field I believe it may be tough. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I thank you in advance

Tom -
  3. Lord of the Dance
    Devshed Expert (3500 - 3999 posts)

It is possible, but depend what kind of sounds you want to recognize.

If you take a thing like LEGO Mindstorms, it has a sensor that can "hear" the sound level (decibel).

If you want to have something like speech recognition, I don't think that is a project to start with directly as a beginner.

Maybe you can describe more detailed about what you want.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I am looking to have a sensor that can recognize the different sirens of a fire truck/ambulance/police car. For the most part these vehicles use the same sirens. However fire trucks have 1 mechanical siren that is different than any other. So about 4/5 different siren tones it's what I am thinking. If this is not something I could buy and program myself, or build then I am willing to pay an engineer or computer programmer to assist me.

Tom

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo