1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

How to get better at programming.

Hello, I am novice programmer and I need some help. I know multiple programming languages like C, C++, and Java. I also know a little bit of a few scripting languages. My problem is that I know tons of languages but I still don't know that much about writing useful programs. I never focus on trying to make any thing because one, I don't have any ideas and two, I don't know what type of programming I want to focus on. Does anyone know what I should do? I enjoy programming and want to do it as a career but I need to get better at it first. Also can anyone tell me the different types of programming. I know about the 2 main ones, application programming and system programming but what are some other types.
  3. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

I list some different types of programming in this thread

Can you really not think of anything that you can write a program for? I write hundreds of mini-programs a year for a wide variety of things. VBA macros to manipulate spreadsheets, quick web forms for collecting data about upcoming events, command-line tools to decode or encode messages and tokens, quick scripts to scrape specific data out of large data dumps, log analyzers, data divers, databases, collectors, web spiders, the list goes on. If you find yourself doing something repetitive, make a computer do it.
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  5. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the info. Now that I think about it I have some ideas for programs that I can write.
  7. No Profile Picture

Kind of know what you mean kogo50.
    I too know a little bit of everything, but have nothing to show for it. I tend to start tons of small projects but they tend to grow out of hand or i loose interest.

I love games, and if you do too, you can find an endless supply of projects when it comes to games.

Two tips though:
    • Focus on one language at at time (depending on what you want to do of course)
    • Finish your projects!

I feel that 80% of the programming experience i get is from projects i finish.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo