1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

New to programming

Hello,

My name is Michael and i am new to the land of programming.
    I am also a University of Maryland student and my degree path is software engineering with a minor in cyber security. I am a first year student and so eager to absorb everything i can in this huge field of programming.

I have some basic questions i am sure you guys have answered a TON of times...

1. I am currently working with C# in class and i think its great beginner high level programming language to master. I am looking to buy some development tools to assist me in my code'ing and maybe start squirreling around with other ideas.

2. Are there any magazines i could subscribe to that has some good reading regarding the land of programming?

3. What text editors do you use to write your code? i currently use note pad or word pad.

Thanks
    Michael
  3. No Profile Picture
    Lost in code
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

3. What text editors do you use to write your code? i currently use note pad or word pad.
    Pretty much anything capable of editing text is better for writing code than those two programs. On Windows, you could look at Notepad++.

2. Are there any magazines i could subscribe to that has some good reading regarding the land of programming?
    Not that I know of

1. I am currently working with C# in class and i think its great beginner high level programming language to master. I am looking to buy some development tools to assist me in my code'ing and maybe start squirreling around with other ideas.
    If your focus is on C# you might want to look at Visual Studio. Many universities have deals with Microsoft that will give you free access to it, I would check into this if I were you.
    PHP FAQ

Originally Posted by Spad
    Ah USB, the only rectangular connector where you have to make 3 attempts before you get it the right way around
  5. Sarcky
    Devshed Supreme Being (6500+ posts)

How are you learning C# without using Visual Studio? That's what you should be using.

Tech doesn't translate to print very well. Especially programming. There are programming blogs and whatnot you can read. The google tech blogs are good, as is the daily WTF. For general-purpose nerdery, use reddit, wired, boingboing, and slashdot.

As Oreo said, these are absolutely wrong. I use Eclipse and a Linux-only tool called Geany.

Comments on this post

• portcitysoftwar agrees : Thanks i think i will stick with geany now
    HEY! YOU! Read the New User Guide and Forum Rules

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest tragedy of this changing society is that people who never knew what it was like before will simply assume that this is the way things are supposed to be." -2600 Magazine, Fall 2002

Think we're being rude? Maybe you asked a bad question or you're a Help Vampire. Trying to argue intelligently? Please read this.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are going to write code you should at lest get an ascii editor with syntax highlighting.

And maniac dan. I remember my first year in school as a software engineer, they made us write our code without using an IDE so that we wernt spoiled right from the start.And i believe this to be an import lesson and if your instructor tells you to use notepad for now then use it.

Maniac what is geanie. I have always used Notepad++ and i use it on my linux machines through WINE because i dont like gedit?
  9. JavaScript is not spelt java
    Devshed Novice (500 - 999 posts)

the Geany editor is available on Windows as well. My personal preference is for Komodo Edit.

However, for C#, Visual Studio could be considered obligatory. While I agree that starting with NotePad is, generally, a good idea, for something as complex/detailed as C# it would quickly become unworkable. For example, I wouldn't fancy typing the following in Notepad:

Code:
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection conn = new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection();
    "The mysql extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and is not recommended for writing new code as it will be removed in the future. Instead, either the mysqli or PDO_MySQL extension should be used." the docs
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

yes it definately was not fun in school. however, it teaches a good lesson and shows exactly how spoiled we are to be in an age with these state of the art IDE.

After linking one application to all the necessary libraries etc...

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo