1. No Profile Picture
    Devshed Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

I started with HTML 3 years ago, and now there isn't much left to now for me about HTML, CSS and JavaScript so I continued with programming for Internet.
    I studied Perl, PhP and some other languages but I can't decide wich will fill my needs best.
    Wich is best to start with ?, which will dominate in the future ?, wich is fastest and most powerfull ?
    My future will be in the Internet Programming zone, so this is a tricky question for me.

------------------
    SwEdE[oelbal]n
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Its pretty strange that even after learning just the basics of Perl and PHP that u have not been able to figure out the differences.
    Perl and PHP are both diff. and have their own specialities..Its not possible 2 compare both of them.
    Maybe u can compare C++ and Java cause they both are OO lang. and one can conclude that java will be the dominating lang.
    but here in terms of Perl and PHP its pretty hard.
    But on a conclusive point of view i think PHP.
    More since its a Server-side scripting lang. while Perl is not....and any org. would prefer 2 have PHP (well org. are nowadays migrating from Perl 2 PHP) as it reduces the load over the web.

duke.
  5. chown python:users\ /world

Two reasons to use PHP....

1.) Reduce workload on server. Multiple Perl scripts running at the same time can run a server into the ground.

2.) PHP is an embedded language. You can put PHP directly into HTML code. With Perl the script must output the HTML (although I read somewhere that embedding Perl is now possible).

------------------
    Hartmann
  7. No Profile Picture

So, I should prefer PhP ?.....

------------------
    SwEdE[oelbal]n
  9. chown python:users\ /world

Yes... But in all honestly I would learn both. Perl is still a powerhouse for developers

------------------
    Hartmann
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

For web programming, I love the way we can do in PHP, but since I learnt Perl before, I still like Perl.
    To me, the more the better!
    Oh, and at my school, I'm also learning Java (I hate OO programming in Perl!)

------------------
    http://new.123finder.com/ - Helps you find cool domains for FREE & Registers it for only $14.95/yr
    http://www.guideclick.com/ - Qualified webmaster resources (affiliate programs, web design, tips)

------
    Son
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Perl still has it's place but PHP is certainly more applicable 90% of the time in web applications. If you need to do a lot of customization to the apache server than mod_perl is still the way to go though.

------------------
    <UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI> TD Scripts
    <LI> Script School
    <LI>php-scripts
    </UL>

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo